Let's start by going over the schedule for the rest of the semester:
- 7/14--Session 10
- 7/15--Session 11
- 7/21--Just focus upon your Final Project due:
- 7/24--Midnight---All outstanding assignments due.
But first I would like you to visit some of your peers' pages. Just click on their names and view their wiki chapter. Once there, use the Discussion tab to give them feedback. Here is a brief video walking you through it:
Next I'd like you to explore the "History" tab on our wiki. You should have already explored this in a GDoc. As I said earlier in the semester this can be a tremendously powerful tool if you make a mistake. Check it out:
Good luck and don't forget that Session 11's blog entry will be posted in a few days, so that you can blitz over the next week completing your Final Project.
You may also read past participants' D3's here. Even though yours was eliminated you may be interested in reading their's. Just click on their names and under their D2's you should find their D3's. There are lots of great persuasive letters, so why recreate the wheel. If you see a great way to say something---borrow it yourself.
Good luck and have fun!
DF
DF
7 comments:
The wiki history is a useful feature. I used it a bunch of times when I messed up my own page and couldn’t get it back to where it was before:) I think that the expansion of collective intelligence is fantastic. I love the idea of sharing information and ideas with other people. There is so much out there- I just keep adding things to Google reader and my delicious account. The Julie Lindsay wiki is full of information. Establishing a PLE is a goal of mine. I think this is a very powerful collection of tools to share what you’ve done and connect to others who have similar interests. It a dynamic portfolio that can be shared with everyone. I wonder what future resumes will look like when I think of this resource. Would you just direct a future employer to your PLE ? However, it’s interesting (and surprising) to me that some people are not motivated by this, or willing to join in. I think there are still many teachers who enjoy their isolation and fear that they are losing control if they become too interconnected or let students have a more active role in their learning. I think backward design is the only way to go. I just finished The World is Flat-I feel like we have a lot of ground to make up in education if we are going to meet the needs of our students in the world where they will be competing. I found a cool ning -http://flatclassrooms.ning.com. It's a social network for educators to connects schools worldwide with tech and curriculum ideas. I agree with Freedman’s quote that appeared on Julie Lindsay’s wiki “If it's not happening it's because you're not doing it”. People are connecting worldwide and sharing ideas. I don’t think this happens on a building/district level enough. I’ve been trying to encourage teachers to expand their ideas of what a research project should look like, with the increase in the amount of information we have available to us, and the technology that we have available as well.
The Julie Lindsay wiki was very appealing. Maybe we can use this forum instead of the I-Plan. This wiki offered great lesson plans about flat classroom projects, web 2.0 tools, and ways to address higher level thinking skills. By collaborating professionally through wikis of this kind, a whole new world of professional development can be established.
I also like the idea of backward design. By setting your goals first, it will be easier to allign lessons, materials, and assessments. Through differentiated instruction and individualized support, all students will be able to meet the goals set. Does anyone know what a ning is? It was mentioned on Julie Lindsay's wiki.
The debate over the future of textbooks is interesting. The sixth graders that I teach were excited in September when they saw the textbook they would be using because for most of them it was their first exposure to this type of non-fiction text. Early in the year I began teaching them the text features of non-fiction texts. The students were able to identify headings, sub-headings, captions, diagrams, maps, etc. Hopefully learning these text features helped them with their Science and Mathematics assignments.
I was also wondering how the textbook publishing companies are beginning to react to the textbook debate? For example, Glencoe is the publishing company of the textbook I currently use and they do have an online edition of their textbook on their website. Is this their way of acknowledging the possibility of their hardcopy textbook becoming obsolete? In addition, I wasn't sure if any publishing company representatives were at the conference that Professor Fontaine attended where the issue of textbooks was discussed at length.
Mary Andrade
Cranston West
Physical Education and Health Grade 9-12
marypeteacher@cox.net
Session 10:
Collective Intelligence: The idea of collecting information and collaborating with other professional to make digital texts is an area school districts should consider. Limited text books for the number of classes meeting are limited as well as outdated.
Wikis: I like the history feature where one can go back and reset the page. I found the comment tip useful. Going through and trying to add media has been difficult to figure out. I was able to get pictures on but still have a long way to go to make project complete.
Professional Learning Environment: The PLE is a perfect means to display information , experiences, and media. It also allows for blogs for collaboration from other educators. When looking through Educational Wikis there was so many examples to go through. Each wiki has its own unique format and I think gave me a better way to set up my project.
Hi everyone: I have been internetless in Tennessee and just now am able to post something again, so I'm posting my comments from last session here as no one will likely go back to that to read comments. I won't repeat what much of you said, but I was also struck by the 3-D nature of wikis and I'm actually wishing I were in school right now so I could get started on the year with a new way of doing things that I think will appeal more to the students and to me. I have one security concern that I didn't see addressed (although it may have been in the 4 part session I wasn't able to access for some reason - I will try later). I'm concerned about students using their real names and having that information posted on-line. When I grade essays, I often have kids create code names so that I have no idea whose essay I'm grading. They then know that I'm grading their writing, and not being influenced by any outside issue. I'm considering having students create pen names for their work on-line so that no psycho out there has access to their name and school. Is that what the rest of you plan to do? I will continue my post once I've been able to access the 4 part series and go through the information regarding Collective Intelligence. I'm a bit wary of that concept - it reminds me of the Borgs from Star Trek. Just kidding. Sort of.
Karen, I like your idea about having the students use code names when posting their work. But I can also see the merit in having them post their work for all of the world to see and associate with them. If they know that their work is going to be "out there" maybe they will take more ownership in it and do their best. I am also conflicted about this issue. Maybe moreso than I would be if I taught at the high school level.
Post a Comment