Most of you are getting the hang of using this forum and are becoming more adept at posting and downloading. Remember to post your insights and comments in the 'comment' section and also include your own insights to share with the entire class.
In order to facilitate a truly collaborative setting (one in which we can begin to foster an environment where we can benefit from the 'Collective Knowledge' of all the participants here) I am asking that you make a special, concerted effort to try to respond or comment upon, at least, one other posting from w/i each session starting with Session 2. This may mean going back and revisiting the blog after you have posted, because you may be the first or second person to post your thoughts. This is not a requirement, but it is a request---one that will help benefit all of us and truly foster a collaborative network of learners and educators!
There is a tremendous font of knowledge among this group. Don't miss out on this valuable resource.
In order to facilitate a truly collaborative setting (one in which we can begin to foster an environment where we can benefit from the 'Collective Knowledge' of all the participants here) I am asking that you make a special, concerted effort to try to respond or comment upon, at least, one other posting from w/i each session starting with Session 2. This may mean going back and revisiting the blog after you have posted, because you may be the first or second person to post your thoughts. This is not a requirement, but it is a request---one that will help benefit all of us and truly foster a collaborative network of learners and educators!
There is a tremendous font of knowledge among this group. Don't miss out on this valuable resource.
And lastly, we'll end by discussing the fluid definition of the word, "literacy" and try to pin it down in a 21st century classroom---a classroom where the walls have come down and the world is flat. There are lots of different interpretations out there.
Lastly, you may access and read past participants' comments about the educational uses of wikis here and here.
Good luck and I look forward to reading your comments, insights, and reflections.
DF
PS--You may find a back-up copy of this week's presentation here. Just search for the term: "edc922" and then choose the appropriate session to view and listen to.
8 comments:
Wikispaces are the ultimate Web 2.0 tool for classrooms, business, ANYTHING use. We use them religiously here at Saegertown high school. They allow all forms of collaboration with peers as well as a universal site for kids to make reference to in and out of school. I have 4 teachers (of 6) that have their own wikispaces. Many of them create their digital lesson and then archive each lesson on their wikispace. This way students who miss school or are simply interested in brushing up on their material can access the lessons anywhere they have internet. We've had students access these sites from their Blackberries and other hand held devices RIGHT before an exam...on the way to school. They provide many options like the ability to embed widgets, files, pictures, etc. Feel free to check out my wiki and our teachers' wikis at SHS.
http://npaolini.wikispaces.com/
http://mrsanderton.wikispaces.com/
http://mrsimcheck.wikispaces.com/
Well, I drilled down and updated a Science piece in WikiDave, specifically on Meterology, my son's major at Plymouth State University. I love the possibility of lessons being "archived", especially this time of year where so many field trips and extracurricular attentions draw away from the classroom. There have been soooooo many absences, all excused, here at SK this late spring, that a classroom Wiki could serve as a terrific supplement to instruction. Never again is the phrase "I'm going on vacation, what will I miss" be an issue I suppose using a Wiki...perhaps even have the student "update" some relevance of the trip whilest they are sunning themselves...hmmmm.....
Whoops, forgot to include the link.....
http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Meteorology
and for those who care (I know you all do....deeply)...my wiki is at WikiLoomis.wikispaces.com
I panicked a bit when I saw there were already 12 posts on session three, but it looks like those are all older posts from the Spring. I hope I'm not too far behind - my apologies to those who don't have time to go back and read Session II when they're already on to Session three. (It's the end of the year and, like the rest of you, I'm drowning in essays and exams.)
I enjoyed the background reading so much for this session. In particular, I noted the following:
• I didn’t know “Wiki” can stand for “What I know, is.” That meaning doesn’t inspire much confidence.
• The example of the Daily Kos writers poring over Guantanamo documents was amazing. I follow that blog when I have time, but I'd missed that article.
• I know that using community links and other wikis is supposed to save time, but so many are out there that it seems incredibly inefficient – why research secondary information when the research tools of the internet generally allow one to find precisely what one wants almost immediately?
• I had read Dave’s article about 21st Century Texts during our last class – how did I miss that piece about syncing a cell phone with google earth? Why don’t more people know about this? I’ve got to figure out how that works. My teenaged daughter will be thrilled.
I have a wiki (www.apenglishizzo.wikispaces.com) that I developed from a prior class with Dave. It needs a great deal of work, as right now it's often a repository for messages for other classes (I got rid of my regular website), and I'm looking forward to having a reason to straighten it out. Coach Paolini, when I have time, I will look at your sample sites as well.
Hi, This is Kim.
Well, although I have felt pretty technically literate, I certainly do not any more. There is so much "out there" that I never knew about and am having a hard time digesting! Here is the link to what I did on Dave’s wiki space: http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Middle-English I added the poetry piece at the bottom of the page. I managed to add a link as I toyed around. I’m not sure I did what I was supposed to do (I see that Chace added a page) so I will try again as soon as I can and add more.
I also was wondering about the zoo story we are supposed to add to. I am ready to go do it, and have been since Sunday, but I don’t know where to go. I sound useless! Does anyone know how I can get to this story?
Here are my thoughts about the reading and viewing from Session 2:
I can’t help but wonder how this technology will make my job even more time consuming than it already is. I stopped updating my web page because it took a great deal of time that I didn’t have to spare and few parents and students even used it. I wonder if setting up and maintaining a wiki would be yet another thing added to my already crowded plate without seeing any real benefit to/improvement in student learning.
At the same time I love Google Docs. I had heard about this while listening to NPR months (maybe years) ago and thought it sounded intriguing but never knew how to start. This may be my answer to “I lost the handout” when I go around collecting student work without having to upload the filed to a web page that I pay to have each year and have no time to manage. I absolutely love the videos that were focused on Google Docs. I was thinking, “Wow, Google Docs rocks!” and, sure enough, it was the closing comment to one of the videos.
I was also struck by the way that our government is using this new technology to do things like review the procedures at Guantanamo Bay. Couldn’t school committees post contracts that are under negotiations so that they can be reviewed the union members, the School Committee, and by the taxpayers?
Student use of cell phones would definitely make student use of wikis easier, but isn’t there currently a state law forbidding student use of electronics? I know that my students have spoken about kids going to the bathroom during tests to either text their friends to get answers or to go online and find them. How could we police their use better?
Hi Kim -
You made me feel a little less overwhelmed when you said that you also wonder how much time technology will take away from your teaching. My website (or wiki) is in the same state as yours, for the exact reasons you state. I am considering having students take turns updating their notes to the wiki page so that they can all get experience working a wiki site AND I'm not the one having to post material I've already posted in my room. That might help your time constraints as well Kim. You can also post word docs to the wiki without having to use google docs, and that does come in handy when kids lose handouts.
Finally - what did I miss on Dave's site? I didn't see where we were supposed to post anything to it. See you in the next session.
Karen
http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Pre+Columbian+Era
I was able to edit the wiki, but had difficulty searching for an area of interest. I only saw one page as an option so I went with that one. This is the link to the page I edited, http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Pre+Columbian+Era
Google Docs was completely new to me. I loved the video explaining its uses and think it is something I could definitely use in the future. I am always amazed (and overwhelmed) at how much technology there is out there and then being able to apply with my students.
Coach Paolini, I checked out your wiki space and wow! It looks great and I hope to be able to do something like in the future.
I have a question and I apologize to those of you who are more advanced, but I am having a hard time understanding the differnce between a blog and a wiki.
Karen, Yes, I could post Word documents to a wiki. I guess I am wondering what my immediate use of a wiki would be. I don't know if my students would be able to use the wiki. I think the district I teach in is a bit behind the times. If my only interest is making documents available maybe Google Docs is the way to go. But if I also want it to be to communicate to parents then a wiki is the way to go. I'm wondering if they would also need a tutorial about wikis and their approriate use.
I hope that by the end of this class I have a clear idea of how to use a wiki to benefit everyone. I am also participating in RITTI this summer and have updated my iplan to include a technology component, so I WILL embrace web2.0 and be a positive technology role model to my students!!!
Post a Comment