Tuesday, June 30, 2009

922-Session 8

You may have noticed that I have added a cool feature to the blog. You can now double click on any word on the blog and you will be prompted with more details. The possibilities for a tool like this are astronomical when using edublogs in the classroom. Any word used by the 'blog author' or 'comment poster' can be defined w/o a student leaving the page. Give it a try on this word: arbiter or any other.

I've also put it in wikidave. If you are interested here is the link to more info.

Now, regarding future assignments---Please don't wait until the last minute to contact me if you have any questions, and as with all of these projects, "Practicality Shall Take Precedent over All." That means that if you have an idea to modify a Deliverable or Final Project so that it will be more useful to you in your setting then please feel free to pass your ideas by me. (I approve most of them.)

Also, due to the constricted semester, I'm thinking of eliminatin your Deliverable #3 so you can focus upon your wikichapter. I've put a survey on our blog, please let me know your thoughts.

======================================================

There is a renewed movement underway from schools, businesses, and universities. They are giving 'Collective Intelligence' a closer look. From MIT's new 'Center for Collective Intelligence,' to businesses using wikis within their internal networks, to schools using Collective Intelligence resources and tools in the K-12 setting---we will look at all of these examples, as well as discuss their long term implications during this session.

Keep in mind while you are viewing this session that your Deliverable will be due, (I will give you instructions later on how to submit your work) soon. Additionally, keep in mind that the deadline for your Final Project is fast approaching.

As always, feel free to contact me if you ever have additional questions or comments.

DF

P.S. Summer '08 participants' comments as well as participants' comments from previous semesters here.

P.P.S. Backup copies of each week's session can be found on Authorstream.com

6 comments:

Karen Lena Izzo said...

Karen Izzo
EGHS
English

I started watching the WikiWhileYouWork video with the idea that it would just be review; I already have a wiki, and although I don't use its full capacity, I know what it can do. But this video was so helpful and inspirational that I sent the link to my department and urged them all to watch it and get their free wiki site before the 100,000 free ones run out. I love the Moby Dick projects described in the video, and I came away with four new ideas for making student projects more authentic. At dinner tonight, I was talking with my husband and daughter about our Deliverable Two (yes, they were nice enough to listen) and my daughter, who is
15, said "ugh, I feel sorry for you having to work on a stupid project. I had too many of those this year." My response to her made me reconsider what I expect of my own students. I said that I was actually having fun doing this, as it's something I need for my classroom and it will be useful to me. And then I told her that I need to find ways for high school students to feel that their work is "real" as well. I know that authentic work can't happen all the time, but this video gave me some inspiration about how I can make it happen-- if not always, at least more often.

MrsMontour said...

Kim Montour here...

I have been very busy creating my wiki (I didn't have one until today) and putting everything I had created for my chapter onto the wiki. I started adding images, video, ect. I am not done yet, but I thought it would be helpful to get some feedback from you all. Here is the link.

http://montour.wikispaces.com/EDC922+Deliverable+2+-+Chapter

After I started I realized that I should have broken the chapter down into dif. pages as the one page is pretty long. If I have time I will change that, but I don't know how much work that would involve. Let me know if you have any trouble opening it. As I said, this is VERY new to me and any and all constructive criticism is welcomed.

As far as session 8 goes, I have not been able to be patient enough for WikiWhileYouWork to load. I will try again tomorrow.

I could really identify with Brian Lamb's statement in "Wide Open Spaces:Wikis Ready or Not" that new wiki users are "expecting to be told where to go, they feel lost, 'as if falling through a wide expanse of concepts and thoughts represented in nodes of text." I can identify with that. But, after working with mine today I feel a bit better. So, he was also right on when he said, "This sense of disorientation is common, but once the initial wave of adverse symptoms passes, recovery is supported by a loose collection of contextual signposts that can be remarkably descriptive."

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work and getting feedback from you too.

Coach Paolini said...

The concepts of CI, CN and KM are wonderful ideas for individuals in education, business, government, etc to share ideas. I like the quote from the Mason's, 4 people can do the job effectively as 6 separate people. That so rings true with today's push for Web 2.0 tools. My deliverables and final project are on teaching teachers Web 2.0 tools. The collaboration between teachers is not limited to others in your building. With Web 2.0 tools, teachers, business people, government officials, etc can discuss and collaborate with anyone across the globe! WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL???

Pennsylvania 3 years ago funded an initiative called Classrooms for the Future (CFF). Each school got X amount of money, with that came funding for a "Technology Coach". That's my position. I teach teachers how to use Web 2.0 tool like Wikis, Google Apps, wikispaces, Delicious.com, Google Earth, etc. I love this idea of no longer being limited to a text book or people in your building. Branching out and exploring what others have to offer and what you can offer them is just a fascinating and endless idea. I love wikispaces and Google Apps....by far the best web 2.0 tools i've come across.

Chace said...

Well, I'm finding it difficult to get information on Financial Literacy in a couple of links off the slide-show; but one I found was posted by a Rebecca Newburn called "Squidoo"....interesting site and the comments mention something about "great lens" Rebecca....which has be baffled...has anyone heard of a lens....perhaps I missed this in the earlier slide-shows....anyhoo, lots of great stuff for teaching financial literacy to high schoolers on this site...will certaily include it as a link in my chapter. I looked at the PDF on the Web 2.0 "Selling to Admin," and I know this may sound cynical, but I've learned that if I implement something new in the classroom, it tends to get more attention than if I "sell it" actively on a district level....just seems to get bogged down in the beaurocratic machine that is education. I'm watching the While you Work vid in the morning and will post back, Karen seemed to love it.....gotta go for now....PS..Chace, first name....:)

MrsMontour said...

Can those of you who are already using a class wiki let me know how you are using it with your students successfully? I am participating in RITTI this week and next. We are creating a unit of study that incorporates technology; the students have to be able to use technology in some form to help them meet the GLEs and demonstrate proficiency. I was thinking that I could use the wiki that I started for EDC922 and build upon it. Have any of you had students work in groups and post things like PowerPoint on the wiki?

I’d be interested to hear back.

Kim

Diane said...

Hi All, I took a few days off after submitting D#2, which was great...I get obsessed with my wiki. I think I'll focus my comments on authentic work and teachers as learners...
The two on-line classes I've taken have brought me to tears at one time or another. If I hear another video say "it's intuitive" I'll scream. So for someone like Coach Paolini (I was wondering what sport he coached)who may be trying to teach/help someone for whom technology is not intuitive..bless you! As an adult learner I believe in struggle and perseverance because I feel that's what most of my education has been and I can see that in a lot of my students as well. I can honestly say to students, "If we keep at this, we/you will get to a point where you can understand it better." (Maybe not completely but better.)
So like Karen and others, I was inspired by The WikiWhileYouWork video, and I was especially interested in the student projects. Her daughter really hits the nail on the head with "..I had too many of them..." although I don't think my students will feel they've had too many, but I want them to feel it is their work, and it has meaning for them. I will try presenting my ideas for summative assessments on the nutrition unit, keeping in mind differential learning etc. and have the students help write proposals for final projects as well. Then as a whole class (that includes me)we'll choose the projects that meet the criteria.

As a struggling adult-learner of technology, I also have to feel the work is worthwhile, and I do... because it will help me be a better teacher, and I'll use my nutrition unit in September(and I've learned more about nutrition/ I love the folding proteins!) I would never let my students give up, but it's good for me to appreciate the feeling of wanting to give up, frustration etc.
Now I'm excited to continue with my wiki and add more wikis during this coming year. I'll show the kids how to do it, and then they can help me.
On an ending tangent: it would have helped me during the WikiWhileYouWork video to see some type of screen shot when they were poking at the tablet screen.
Diane Cunha
sixth grade math/science