Tuesday, May 29, 2012

922-Session 2-The Ultimate Tool for Collaboration

Welcome to Session 2-Where we'll get an great overview of wikis and their connection to our course curriculum and get a small taste of Open Educational Resources.

Most of you are getting the hang of using this forum and are becoming more adept at posting and downloading. Remember to post your insights and comments in the 'comment' section and also remember to return regularly to read your peers comments.

In order to facilitate a truly collaborative setting (one in which we can begin to foster an environment where we can benefit from the 'Collective Knowledge' of all the participants here) I am asking that you make a special, concerted effort to try to respond or comment upon, at least, one other posting from w/i each session starting with Session 2. This may mean going back and revisiting the blog after you have posted, because you may be the first or second person to post your thoughts. This is not a requirement, but it is a request---one that will help benefit all of us and truly foster a collaborative network of learners and educators!  The most efficient method for this is to make sure that you have signed up for a Blogger account.  If you already have a Google account with any of G's other services like gmail or Google Docs, then you may use that.  After you post your comment to our blog and before you hit the publish button, you'll see an option to have future comments emailed to you.  Choose that.  There is a tremendous font of knowledge among this group.  Don't miss out on the insights and experiences of your peers.

=================================================

This session will find us broadening the scope of our view of wikis. This information is pertinent to our discussions on digital content because as the semester unfolds we'll see our definition of user-created content evolve.  The merging and integration of e-books with additional multimedia (screencasts, interactive simulations, podcasts, videos,...) is changing so rapidly that no one can predict what our students will be using in just a few short years.  Some surveys predict eBook penetration w/i school libraries to increase 14 fold by 2016.

We will begin this session by taking a look at the benefits of wikis, and other Web 2.0 tools, for students, teachers, and the entire educational community. We'll view some screencasts and videos that give us students' perspectives, as well as hear from teachers from across the K-12 spectrum.  Each and every one will be focused upon how Web 2.0 tools have changed the way they teach and learn. And also demonstrate how teachers are becoming the authors of Digital Content shared with the world freely under an "Open" philosophy.

And lastly, we'll end by discussing the fluid definition of the word, "literacy" and try to pin it down in a 21st century classroom---a classroom where the walls have come down and the world is flat. There are lots of different interpretations out there.  And as I stated above--prior definitions are changing quickly.  Under the subject heading of Wikis there are an increasing number of sub-headings.  Google Docs has evolved to be a very wiki-like tool.

Before you download this week's session:

  • Please read this article from SLJ called, "Things are Changing Fast."  It reminds us that those of us that run into technology-roadblocks are not alone (unfortunately). When you are finished reading that article, also read, "Not Just the Lucky Ones."
  • Then visit: http://www.edweb.net/ebooks  and join the community if you haven't already.

Lastly, you may access and read past participants' comments about the educational uses of wikis
Spring '12 comments
as well as here and here.


Also, please watch this video introducing you to Google Play (now has Google's digitized books initiative integrated).


Good luck and I look forward to reading your comments, insights, and reflections.




DF
PS--You may find a back-up copy of this week's presentation here. Just search for the term: "edc922" and then choose the appropriate session to view and listen to.




19 comments:

Unknown said...

Wikis seem like a great classroom tool, but I do worry about the trust issues that were mentioned in session 2. I used to blog with my kids in Spanish on Nicenet, and now we are doing it in Edmodo, and both those sites give me a measure of control. I still have to hover over those sites to watch for inappropriate language, pictures, and other content. The Wiki, being open and able to branch out in many directions, would worry me for the lack of control I could have. That being said, I do think it is an issue I will have to come to terms with, as Wikis will be more and more prevalent in the classroom.

Unknown said...

This post is so I can choose the option to have future comments emailed to me.

Unknown said...

I really would like to get comfortable with Wikis and use them so that the kids can collaborate on study guides.

Josh said...

As a high school English teacher, I was initially unsure if wikis would work in my classroom. Because the literature we discuss can be interpreted in many equally valid ways, I think I'd be better off using a blog. I'd rather have students debating ideas than trying to collaborate on one specific product.

While I'm not sure wikis are the right tool for discussing novels in my classroom, I could see creating a wiki devoted to developing writing skills. I could envision subsections on writing a good thesis statement, writing a compare contrast essay, etc. Students and teachers could post graphic organizers, web links, and advice. Since learning needs and writing styles vary, it could be helpful to give students access to resources contributed by a diverse community of writers. Hopefully, every student would eventually be able to find something that would work for them.

Josh said...

As a department chair, I'm also intrigued by the idea of creating a wiki specifically for my department. If we created a wiki where every teacher posted their best lessons for the units we all teach, it could become an amazing resource. It would save us all a lot of time, as we could borrow lessons from each other rather than creating something from scratch. It would also be a great way to share ideas and experiences, as we are given very little time to meet as a department. I'm going to try to find time this summer to experiment with creating a wiki for my department.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Kathleen - the trust issues are big. I am in elementary (Grades K-5 Literacy) and we have had cyber bullying issues as well. We do use Edmodo for Literature circles and it works really well. I am thinking like Josh below though - as a staff tool Wikis may be really good. Also for Writer's Workshop getting students to collaborate. I will have to think about it some more before jumping in.

Anonymous said...

Josh, that’s a very simple and terrific idea. Instead of going to a PD meeting and sharing the lesson posting it to a Wiki would not only save time but it would be there for time in memorial. At the moment we all use Atlas which is a recording method.

Anonymous said...

I can see some real possibilities for using a Wiki in my 4th grade class. In particular, the use of the story idea, where it grows and changes over time I could see implementing next year. We are using a class blog at the moment and this has proved a real hit with both students and parents. Being in an International school the blog is one Grandparents living in home countries can keep in touch with what the kids are doing in school. Personally I was relieved that the instructor seems to understand that for some of us (me for sure) the amount of information is overwhelming but we have the downloaded presentations to review after this course is finished. Oh and one last comment on the video at the end of the session. It’s all well and good for the narrator to tell teachers that we need to teach the kids the numerous things about researching on-line texts but the teachers need to be taught as well. This ‘new’ literature is new for all of us.
I worked on wikidave http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Elem-SOCIAL+STUDIES writing about Native Americans, it is under the title: What is the correct way to address this group of people?

Unknown said...

I do understand where Vicky Davis is coming from. Everything is online these days, so it is extremely important to teach kids technopersonal skills. They need to be taught what is right and wrong with the use of technology.

Anonymous said...

I am finding the content of this session interesting and confusing. I need more time to use the tools and I find that I become overwhelmed with so many links. I understand the idea of allowing learners to delve deeper in various modalities but for an old fashioned learner like myself I find there is too much and I am afraid I will miss something if I don’t go to all the links (which is not possible!) Also I wonder about structuring the tasks for students so they don’t get bogged down or just rush through superficially without delving at all.

I wrote the above comments before viewing the last screen cast about Literacy today – it sure did bring up what I am thinking about and more. Of course there was no easy answer on how to guide our students through all the new challenges.

The wiki Dave that I edited/added to is http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Fluency. I tried to link this in like I did on the wiki but found in posting on the blog comments no ability to create a nicer link.

Josh said...

I just posted on the high school English section of the wiki. I was impressed by how easy it was to use.

I agree that navigating through the lessons gets a little overwhelming. However, I like the idea that I can choose which links to explore based on my needs and interests. I wonder how my students would do with something like this. I think they'd love the freedom to explore content they found interesting at their own pace, but I'm not sure they'd be able to maintain their focus. Or maybe they would be better than me at learning this way because they've grown up with the technology. Hard to say.

Unknown said...

After viewing session 2, the links & reading everyone's comments I am waivering between between really excited about the possibilities that using wikis would offer for my k-5 library program, but I am also overwhelmed. I have been using a blog for several years & that has been great. The problem with it is that because it is so static & parents & kids are busy, it does not get looked at as often as I would like. In addition we use googledocs ALOT! I love the collaborative aspect & can see how wikis would be very similar. Even our youngest learners thrive within this collaborative environment, and I love Josh's idea of using a wiki for staff resources. (We too use-although hate-Atlas. We are currently looking into other options & may indeed go with a wiki.) As a librarian who sees kids across grade levels, I absolutely love the story idea that Simon mentioned! That is going on my list of things to create over the summer for sure! :)

Anonymous said...

This last two years my students took part in a penpal exchange with students in the Philippines. Mailing was a bit costly and took a lot of time. If the school in the Philippines is able to have access to the internet, I think a wiki would be a great tool for our exchange. I had also been talking to a classroom teacher about the idea of having a student blog to recommend/share books that they like. I think that a wiki might be a better choice and give them more of an option to interact with one another.

Anonymous said...

I like Simon's idea about using a wiki to connect students to their families. (This idea was also listed in the background information on wikis.) I'm not teaching abroad, but am developing a unit for first graders about family traditions. Previously this unit was taught using letters or postcards, but a wiki would be a great tool update the unit for the 21st century. It would also give the option of of including photos and videos. I'm sure there's a way I could embed a link that would display a map to show the place from where each response comes as well.

My addition to wikidave can be found at the following link:
http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/American+Association+of+School+Librarians+%28AASL%29+Best+Websites+for+Teaching+and+Learning

I added a link to AASL's 25 Best Websites.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if anyone know if we have to check the box below to get follow-up comments each week or will we continue to get comments after checking the box for the first session?

Leslie Stryker said...

I am sorry about the late posting for this week - it’s been a bit hectic for me.

There was a lot of good information to go through this week. I am pretty familiar with wikis, although I do not currently have one going, but I was happy to be reminded of a few things, particularly the question about when to use a wiki, and when to use a blog. It’s so simple - wikis for information, blogs for opinions. On occasion I do some tech training for the teachers at my school and I am constantly looking for simple explanations. Can’t get any simpler than that - thanks! Simple is as simple does though, and I have noticed that the wikis I have seen fall short of their capability. Teachers are using them for posting homework, but for little else. I have not seen any collaborative work being done on a wiki for a couple of years now. As the school embarks on a new 1:1 I-pad program, along with a plan for professional development, I hope to see some creative, collaborative, informational wikis being developed to replace print textbooks.

What I was most interested in this week was the last part of the presentation on literacy. I have not been tempted to jump on the e-reader bus personally, but I am ready to change my opinion after considering the topic of literacy. Here are a few of my thoughts:

Additional clarifying information is available at the very same time you are reading the text. The e-reader can immediately find a word’s definition, an image, or background information on a reference, adding to your understanding and experience.
The amount of notes, marginalia, you can attach to the text could be copious. Lots of space for reflective thoughts and questions.
Digital text is searchable!
Digital text can include media also. How enriching would that be, to actually see a slow-motion video of a bird in flight or hear sound bites for French class.

Digital books and e-readers, with their ability to use a variety of information formats, and link to other information resources (dictionaries, Wikipedia, Web links), support library, school, and personal missions of life-long learning.

Clarence Fisher’s “Global Literacy” presentation was quite interesting. He gives a brief history of the development of reading (literacy) to illustrate how literacy is in a constant state of change and brings us to present day, where students are faced with using multiple sets of skills when asked to find information and report back. Much of this historical information can be found in Nicholas Carr’s book The Shallows : what the Internet is doing to our brains. (A very good book, by the way. ) What the Internet is doing to our brains is overloading it. Fisher takes this path of literacy one step further, and deals with the problem in a practical, sensitive fashion. As teachers we do need to recognize that students need a toolbox full of skills to access, comprehend, evaluate, respond, and create new content. And we need to be guiding them along the way so they don’t get too bogged down and lose their focus and interes

Leslie Stryker said...

Sorry about the "Mrs." - hope I changed it!

Leslie Stryker said...

I added a few links to Dave's Wiki at http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Multimedia+Resources# . You'll find the link to Moodle, in the Educational social Networking and LMS Sites list, the link to Class Parrot in the communication tools list, and my favorite - Study Vibe - under the study skills heading.

Leslie Stryker said...

Reading through the comments I am glad to see I am not the only one that has distraction problems when it comes to reading on the computer. I would like to find out more about teaching students how to read a web site.

There are so many good ideas about using Wikis in the classroom, and beyond. Having staff wikis would be a great way to have faculty and staff be on the "user" end of things, which helps when you are designing a site of your own.