Welcome to EDC922---"eBooks and Digital Content"
Throughout these 10 weeks we will be covering a vast amount of information (but don't be too intimidated). Information and new developments about this content are exploding exponentially, so it's a challenge for even me to stay current.
New sessions will be posted once a week (by the end of business on Tuesday), but this week only, the first session won't go up until Saturday night to give everyone enough time to try this practice session and work out any technological trouble).
***Also, b/c this weekend is a holiday weekend for those of us in the States, there will be some flexibility on the deadlines for next week, so don't stress about this if you have plans to climb the White Mountains this weekend (if you do, you may see me up there).
Throughout these 10 weeks we will be covering a vast amount of information (but don't be too intimidated). Information and new developments about this content are exploding exponentially, so it's a challenge for even me to stay current.
New sessions will be posted once a week (by the end of business on Tuesday), but this week only, the first session won't go up until Saturday night to give everyone enough time to try this practice session and work out any technological trouble).
***Also, b/c this weekend is a holiday weekend for those of us in the States, there will be some flexibility on the deadlines for next week, so don't stress about this if you have plans to climb the White Mountains this weekend (if you do, you may see me up there).
Please keep in mind that there are new developments and trends in online information every day, therefore we may have to be flexible when interpreting the syllabus. This may mean some modifications, changes and condensing of information. I've already made changes to our first session's content.
To ensure that we are covering the most current skills and content, I will be assimilating and collating information right up until the moment I post a session. This means that each session's link (over in the left-hand margin) will not be accessible until its respective Tuesday. Even so, there may be times during a session when a cited link is dead. If that is the case, I will try to keep saved copies of all the information. Just email me (davefontaine1@gmail.com) and I will forward the data to you.
During the first few sessions we will be covering foundational skills. This is to ensure that we all have the basic essentials ‘down pat’. Once this is covered, we will pick up the pace and begin to delve into the mechanics, nuances, and meat of our course.
To ensure continuous accessibility to the information within these presentations I suggest you immediately download, and save the sessions, to your computer. Not every session will be downloadable, but many will be. I cannot emphasize this enough. Along the left-hand margin, there will be a link for each session. When you click on this link you may be prompted to 'save' or 'open' the session.
Always ‘save’ it to your desktop (or in a folder somewhere on your computer). Previous class participants have found it easiest to organize if they create a folder and store all the sessions in one place. Another option would be to right-click on the link and choose, 'save target as.'
‘Saving’ the sessions will decrease problems relating to your bandwidth. Also, although it may take a while for a presentation to download (up to 10 min. or more depending upon the speed of your connection) it will be much easier to toggle between a PowerPoint and the Internet if you have it saved to your hard drive. Weekly sessions will also become portable if you save them to a thumb drive, so if you want to take them from home to work, or vice-versa that will be easiest.
Additionally, you will need to have access to a computer that has PowerPoint version ’97 or above to view the presentations. (As a last resort I will also upload a copy each week's session to an online service where you can stream it live. You will find that link at the bottom of each weekly posting.) If you cannot hear the sound on them it is possible that the “wave” element of your volume is either on ‘mute’ or not turned up enough.
Some of you may have already noticed that I teach this course completely from a blog. This will help those of you who have little, to no, experience with blogs. You get to practice, participate, and maybe even create your own after this class is finished. I'll give you all 24 hours to practice with this a little and contact you Sat. night with our first official weekly session, so look for an email from me.
Please remember that we are all educators, and that this is a collaborative course. So, as you post your reflections and comments we will all be responding to you. Therefore, timely responses are imperative. After you have posted your weekly assignment, make an effort to return again later to read and comment about other participants’ assignments.
Once again remember that we are all perpetual learners; constantly growing. I hope to learn as much from you---as you will from me.
Now I would like you to try a practice download. Saturday evening I will update this page with information about our first session. Along the left-hand margin you will see the words "PRACTICE SESSION." Please try to download this session to your computer, strictly following the directions above.
Once you have been successful with this process, you may also download the syllabus, but truthfully, I will be updating it weekly, so it might be a better idea if you just save a shortcut to the live version. There isn't a required, purchasable text, but for those of you that want to more depth on blogs and wikis then I recommend Will Richardson's book. Don't worry if it takes a week to arrive.
You may order it from most online book sellers. Until then you may want to read it online (not ideal and you usually can't access the entire text), but here is the link: Wikis, Blogs, and Podcasts
You could also check your local library here.
If you run into problems, please review the directions again. It is not uncommon for participants to 'stumble' a little getting used to this forum.
If you run into any trouble after that, then please feel free to email me or call.
You'll hear from me again on Saturday.
Thank you and please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have along the way.
Dave Fontaine
eBook, eLearning, and Digital Content Specialist, NBCT
DaveFontaine1@gmail.com
401-835-3782
7 comments:
Hi, I’m Marilu Burden and if you need to contact me directly please send an email to burdensabroad@hotmail.com. (I am taking this course with my husband Simon so you may notice our contact email is the same).
I have a degree in Economics from UC Davis, a teaching certificate from St. Mary’s College and a Master’s in Literacy from University of Nevada, Reno. I have been teaching for about 22 years, from grades K-5 as well as pullout literacy support, peer coaching and Literacy Specialist roles. My settings have ranged from Zephyr Cove, and Las Vegas, Nevada to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Chengdu, China and my current position as Elementary Literacy Support at ISS in Singapore.
I have always been interested in technology, and love finding new ways to integrate into my teaching. My current school is on an ambitious plan to improve our use of technology and I am hoping to implement much of the content of this course immediately both in my teaching and my PD presentations.
Honestly I am taking the course because I need units for re-certification and am very happy to be able to do a completely online course from Asia while traveling on my summer holiday.
Hi! My name is Kaline Goodrich, and you contact me at kaline369@yahoo.com. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education from U. of ME at Farmington, and a Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from the U. of south Carolina (through the U. of ME at Augusta).
I'm in my twelfth year working at a K-8 teaching librarian in the Hermon School District. I'm the head librarian at the K-4 and 5-8 schools.
I had several reasons for taking this course. While I do need continuing credits, I was captivated by the idea of a course that would explain the different technologies out there. I love technology, but rarely take the time to really explore it. It changes so quickly, and I have little free time to keep up.
Also, as a librarian, I want to explore the idea of ebooks, and am hoping this course will help me figure out what the advantages and disadvantages are of some of the e-readers out there. I know which I prefer in my personal life, but which is better for a school library situation? I just haven't been able to decide.
I also want to become more knowledgable about what web tools are out there, so I can keep my staffs informed. I've already started a list of sites and resources that I think they'd find useful, just from things I've learned during this week's readings.
I'm also hoping to move up to the high school level, and I think a course like this under my belt could only make me look more attractive, considering the emphasis that the high schools in my area are putting on technology and digital resources.
I have to admit to being nervous about meeting the demands of this course. It's the first class with homework I've taken since before my twins were born four years ago. I've deliberately been taking the least demanding courses/workshops I could find, but the description of what we'd be learning combined with my own love of technology made it too good to pass up.
Hi,
My name is Marla Wallace. I'm a librarian at the Comunity College of Rhode Island - Lincoln campus. It's nice to see that I'm not the only librarian in the course.
My Bachelor's and MLS are from the University of Wisconsin - Madison.
I am coordinator of reference and collection development at my campus library, so I have a strong interest in getting up to speed in the area of e-readers and academic content. Our students are reluctant to use the e-books we have now, but I think that will change as the technology improves.
I am also heavily involved in Distance Learning at my college. I helped design a 1-credit course in College Research, and have been teaching it online since 2001. There is no doubt that e-readers will play an ever-important role in online learning, so I hope to get some ideas I can begin to incorporate into my course.
It will be interesting to be a student rather than a teacher for an online course - that should be a valuable perspective.
I look forward to working with all of you.
Hi, I'm Josh Farrish. I am an English teacher at Plainfield High School in Plainfield, CT. I teach both 10th grade English and A.P English. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Secondary Education/English from Rhode Island
College. I am currently pursuing a graduate degree in Advanced Studies in Teaching and Learning from RIC.
The graduate program I am enrolled in requires me to take a set of core classes, which I have completed. The program lets me select my own courses to fill out the remainder of my credits, based on my professional goals. I chose this course because want to find new ways to incorporate technology into my classroom. I use technology in my classroom, but in a limited and somewhat boring way (PowerPoints, internet research, ETC) I know there is a lot more out there, and I'm hoping I'll find some exciting new things to bring back to my classroom.
Hi I am Mary Ellen DiBona
email: medibona@cox.net
I have an AS in Bus. Admin Newberry College
BS in Bus. Admin from U of MD
Teacher Cert. from PC
Currently in M.ed./ASTL prgm at RIC
Yes, I am a perpetual student!
I worked for 13+ years in business, stayed home to raise my 3 children for about 12 years and then returned to school for my teaching certification.
I teach 7th grade pre-Algebra and 12th grade accounting at Mount Saint Charles Academy in Woonsocket, RI. I am completing my 6th year in the classroom.
I am very interested in using technology in the classroom. I experimented with flipping one of my classes this past term and am very interested in incorporating technology for student use in the classroon. I am also a novice when it comes to technology. I am willing to try - but do not always think the way a tech-savvy mind thinks. So, I hope you will be patient with me! Also, my school is adding iPad labs for classroom use. I would like to be one of the teachers who takes full advantage of that.
I have finally arrived!
Hi everyone. I am Robert Mayne, a high school mathematics teacher at Chariho Regional High School. I am finishing my 16th year of teaching at the same school I graduated from in '92.
I earned a B.A. in Mathematics from URI in '96. I had been working on a M.A. Education from Providence College but was very disappointed with the content offered.
Our district bough iPads for an intensive geometry course for learners who need extra time and lack the skills necessary to score proficient on the NECAP assessment. The problem was that the iPads were purchased without any training for the educators and without determining how they would assist students.
I am very interested in learning how to use the new technology to advance all students. I flipped my AP Statistics course but without the use of technology. I would like to create an eTextbook for the iGeometry class as it has no text or curriculum at present.
Our district is looking at creating a 1:1 computing model for the high school where each student would receive an electronic device (tablet or laptop). I am excited to see how I can integrate the knowledge learned from this course into my classroom.
Sorry for the delay in response but with intermittent server connection and blogs being blocked at work, it took me a while to get off the ground.
Post a Comment