Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I've been fielding the questions when they come in. One recent issue was with the formatting being lost in Curriki. Please see my response below:
"Try typing everything in MS Word and then uploading it. I believe that way it will retain the formatting. Another alternative is to type it into a Google Doc and then 'share' it with everyone. This option will give your document its own url which you can then paste into Curriki with an explanation."
23 comments:
Okay, I think I've done it. Here is the link to my contributions page on Curriki.
As someone who works with all grades in a K-4 school, I tend to use a spiral approach to many topics. You'll notice that my lessons on this topic, the Dewey Decimal System, start with the second grade. That's because I don't do any formal lessons until then.
However, I do use the language with Kindergarten and First Grade, and I mention that Non-Fiction books have numbers on the spine labels, etc.
Also, the lessons for 2nd and 3rd grade don't comprise everything I do on the topic, as it often comes up as part of a lesson on other things. Fourth grade, on the other hand, is pretty complete.
One last note - I've used the AASL (American Association of School Libraries) Standards for 21st Century Learners. As this is part of the DDS, I probably could have use the Common Core Standards for Math, but felt this was enough.
I hope this fits the criteria. I'm looking forward to seeing what other people have done. It's been fun working with you all, and I have learned so much from both the content and the comments.
Here's my final project. I posted links to a unit plan on To Kill a Mockingbird, as well as a bunch of supplimental materials. Unless you are an English teacher, you'll probably only want/need to look at the first link.
Unit Plan: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_MrFarrish99/ToKillaMockingbirdUnit
Web Activity: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_MrFarrish99/JimCrowWebActivity
Essay: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_MrFarrish99/ToKillaMockingbirdreflectiveessay
Study Guide: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_MrFarrish99/ToKillaMockingbridStudyGuide
Map: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_MrFarrish99/ToKillaMockingbirdTownMapProject
Journals: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_MrFarrish99/ToKillaMockingbirdJournals
Kaline, your link seems to bring me to my own Curriki page. Maybe I am doing something wrong?
Very nice, Josh!
Here , http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_lstryker/Librarydatabases, is my unit on the MARVEL database, our library database from the Maine State Library. I hope this is useful to anyone teaching from their database collection. Several times a year I see Maine librarians looking for a scavenger hunt - so now I will be able to send them here!
The Scavenger Hunt questions contain several pointing to the STEM initiative (math and science questions). We also do a lot with primary source material at the school. Unfortunately I could not get the database to keep me logged in on two different browsers so I wasn’t able to access the EBSCO databases. Questions based on these databases will have to be added later.
Working with Curriki was a breeze. I was pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting problems based on other peoples’ experiences.
Dave, thanks again for a great class! It couldn’t have come at a better time. I am most excited about the CK-12 and Curriki organizations. I hope they both find ways to keep going.
Enjoy the rest of your summer, everyone!
Kaline,
I am having the same problem as Kathleen - the link is taking me to my page on Curriki.
Nice unit, Josh. I finally read that book this spring! I like your activities, especially the map.
Josh, or at least the idea of doing a map. The text in your post is linked to the study guide page in Curriki. Whoops!
My lesson revolves around teaching the students about political activist and union organizer Cesar Chavez. The lesson also reinforces the use of the preterite past tense and the imperfect past tense in Spanish. It also allows for some political discussion as well as teaches the students how an obituary is composed.
I'm a little nervous about going so public, to be honest. But I know now that people can take my ideas and improve upon them. Thanks Professor Fontaine, for teaching us so much in such a short period of time.
I sure hope this link works.
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_KathleenWaterman/PreteriteandImperfectUseWritinganObituaryforCesarChavez?bc=
It looks like you all will have to copy and paste it into your browser. I apologize for that.
Thanks for letting me know the difficulty, Kathleen and Leslie. I had wondered about that link when I posted it, but didn't have the time to check it as thoroughly as I should have. Here are separate links to the three activities I posted:
2nd grade DDS activity is here
3rd grade DDS activity is here
4th grade DDS activities here
My unit is a Philippines WebQuest. I use the unit with 2nd Graders in the Library Media Center, but it could be easily adapted and used with 3rd Graders. This unit follows a Social Studies Community unit that is done in the classroom and a unit in the Library Media Center on diversity and how children around the world are similar and different. I also have a special exchange program between my students and students in the Philippines. The WebQuest can be found at this link: http://philippineswebquest.wikispaces.com/
I loaded my curriculum on Curriki. However, while I was working on it, I made it private and now I do not know how to change the Access. Has anyone else figured out how to do that?
There's the correct link to the map
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_MrFarrish99/ToKillaMockingbirdTownMapProject
To change from private to public go into your contributions. On the right hand side of each there is a set of options, add, edit, etc. go into edit info and scroll down to the options for access change and save. The same for collections but the options run across the top of the entry on your collections page. It looks like you will have to do each individual contribution.
Some great content so far! I have already forwarded some of the links to my library friends at school.
My contribution is a series of vodcasts and study guides on Ratios, Rates and Proportions. I use these in what I call a semi-flipped classroom situation. The vodcasts and study guides are the homework for the students and the class time is where the students do their math practice and application. I included an introduction document to give some tips for getting started with flipping class instruction. The instruction correlates to my school curriculum standards which are based on Rhode Island State Standards.
I found the Curriki format to be much easier to navigate by importing document and links rather than using their template. The only thing I couldn’t figure out is how to do this within the collection. I put everything under contributions and then moved it to my collection. The link to connect to my collection is:
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/MyCurriki/Collections
I want to thank Dave and all of you fellow bloggers for a great class. I learned a so much this session and I will definitely recommend this class to others.
I have always vacillated between theories on the how students learn and what constitutes student understanding of subject matter. In the last year, I have read a great deal about constructivist theory and have become a believer in the student building – and owning – their learning. With the ideas we have discussed in this class, I can see a way to make my classroom become a place where students solve problems. As a math teacher – that is always the objective, solving problems, but more often than not I find I am the purveyor of mathematical process, with little depth beyond foundational technique. Using the web to have students access information and use it to solve problems is a way to engage students, differentiate my instruction and get students beyond mathematical process to application.
This was the first year that I really looked forward to school being over. It was a tough one for a lot of reasons. I also really have not had much of a vacation this summer between tutoring every day and teaching at summer camp. You might think I’d be ready for a break before school begins again (Aug. 22 for me!). But, now that we have finished this class, I am so excited to start working on plans for my new classes using the web 2.0 ideas. Look for some of them on Curriki!
Good Luck to everyone and I hope you enjoy the rest of the summer!
Here is my final project -
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_marilub/StoryTellingvsStoryWriting
Still not great at that formatting that Kaline showed us to make links look professional.
My project is a remix of an existing project with some additions of things I have used in the past. It is a writing lesson to be used with a Writer's Workshop or writing block that focuses on 6 Traits. I would use it for grades 1-5 in my setting adapting the expectations for the written output at the end.
THIS IS THE LINK (me thinks and hopes)
Description:
Children are bored (as we are) by the standard writing prompt like 'tell me about a time when...'. In this lesson I use a picture or number of pictures, to get children to use their imaginations to tell a story. In trying to differentiated in my classroom I like to to use a number of steps to get them thinking about the picture however, if you wish to get an authentic and unguided piece of writing feel free to miss any of the steps. Personally I am fond of the 6 Traits model for writing but this lesson can be used for any program. I have included a rubric for assessment.
TRY AGAIN!! my link
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_sburden/PictureWritingPrompts?bc=
Wow, this class certainly has some very experienced teachers. Universities should include this information as part of their Education BS courses, it would give new teachers tremendous resources to help kick off their teaching careers. Josh, when I looked at your work I felt like a middle aged amateur running against Usain Bolt, great work. On the other side you reminded me of the constraints of teaching in the US, so many hoops (objectives and standards) to jump through before you even get a chance to teach. Nice job laying out a very understandable series of lessons. There is so much good information on this site, it’s going to take a lot of time to sift through, thanks everyone and good luck.
Wow, impressive what the group has come up with! It is great to have these resources and I am excited to share them with my staff when we start back up next week. We have a new librarian coming on board and I think this will be a great way to begin our collaboration this year.
Josh, your PowerPoint was thorough and well organized (it also made me appreciate again teaching out of the US and not having to cite/document all those standards and objectives!).
Leslie, I thought your scavenger hunt was a terrific idea and the use of Google docs very effective.
Msandrada, I couldn't get access to your webquest - I love webquests! So I have gone to the help people at wikispaces to see what the problem is - will check it out when I can access it.
Thanks to Professor Fontaine and the whole class for a wealth of information and resources - my head is still spinning but I have some great new things to access and modify.
If you are ever in Singapore - let's meet up!
My unit is now live on Curriki, here's the link:
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_andradal/PhilippinesWebQuest
I fixed the Philippines WebQuest wiki, so you should be able to access it now.
Thanks so much to Professor Dave and all of you for all that you have shared through this class. I'm excited to go back to school and share what I've learned with the other teachers in my school system!
Lori
At long last...here are my contributions. Apparently I have two accounts with Curriki which explains why I could not find the resources I had uploaded! Unless you are a math teacher...this will be boring to you. Sorry!!!
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_rwmayne/LinearProgrammingLesson
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_rwmayne74/LinearProgramming-TonysFrozenPizza
Post a Comment