Monday, January 28, 2013

Time for Introductions!!!

Welcome (again) to EDC922 - eBooks and Digital Content

This is our class blog. It will serve as our discussion forum, connection to each other, and the main webpage you will be accessing. If this is your first visit, then please first read the entry below (titled, 'Practice Session') and follow the instructions there--- then return to this one.

 The content here should keep you pretty busy--for now you only need to know a few things.

This blog can be viewed by anyone, but will only allow the participants of EDC922 to interact with it. When you would like to respond to someone or comment upon a session, just click on the 'comment' link below each of my postings (you should sign up for a Blogger account ASAP and choose a 'User Name' that is easily identifiable) until then choose the 'anonymous' button under 'choose an identity'; I'm sure some of you have already begun to practice a little.

In the left-hand margin you will see links to individual lessons (accessible every Monday evening).



If you need to contact me then please email me at DaveFontaine1@gmail.com.

This blog, in addition to its use as an interactive communication tool, will also be where you can access and download your weekly sessions. The presentation links to the left will be accessible on a week-to-week basis (Mon.  evenings). I've said it before, but it bears repeating---When attempting to download always choose 'save' rather than 'open.'

The syllabus is also linked to the left. Google has a free service that allows you to just upload any Word document and with one additional click it gets published online with its own URL. The course syllabus is an example of how easy it is to use, and we'll practice with this tool before next week.

One more aspect that will be unique about this course is that I support a completely collaborative teaching philosophy. Following that mindset, I will keep your assignments, comments, and reflections viewable and accessible to future participants of this course. The 'goal' of that is:
  1. For future participants to gain from the collective knowledge of your experiences;
  2. Use what you have done; and
  3. Incorporate new ideas into their classroom.
The bonus for you, of course, is that this information will also always be accessible for you. This way, in the future (many semesters from now) you may revisit this site and benefit from the ideas of all participants. In this way---YOU will gain from all the 'learning speedbumps' of those that have come after you--even though they are not currently enrolled in this course.
=====================================================
Some of the content for our sessions is also covered in my "Blogs and Wikis" course. Where that is the case I'll also give you a link to the 'comments' of past participants about that topic.

Before we go any further I would like each of you to practice using this forum and introduce yourself. We will be spending the semester together, so it is important to learn as much about each other as possible. Click on the 'comment' link below this posting, then you may click the 'anonymous' button and write a few paragraphs about yourself. (If you are feeling bold you may sign up for a Blogger account now and use the 'user name' that you create when you 'comment' rather than choosing 'anonymous.')

Please include:
-your name
-email address (so that you may contact each other directly if needed),
-your educational background,
-teaching history,
-current teaching position with location, and lastly
-what you hope to come away with when this semester is over, along with any additional information about you that you wish to share, like your motivation for choosing this course...

After you have finished posting this profile, come back to this page and read the '922-Session 1' posting (below this one), then find the 'Session 1' link (along the left-hand margin), download it, and view it. When you are finished with the session please click on the 'comment' link again and add any comments, insights, or reflections you have for Session 1, under the Session 1 posting.

Sometimes it takes a little while to get the hang of using this forum. I have taken this into consideration by reducing the workload of the first session. (Of course, if you get distracted easily, then you could spend hours exploring.)
Week 1's primary goal is to make sure everyone is on the same page and skill level before we sink our teeth into the meat of this course. However, if you run into any 'techno-speedbumps' then please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Everything here is licensed by Creative Commons. This means that you have complete authority to download, save, share, and use all of the lessons in your classroom, but are prohibited from any commercial uses.

You will notice that each slide of the PowerPoint presentation has the narration transcribed in the 'notes section' of each slide. This is because each semester we have teachers from around the world taking this course. We've had teachers from Canada, China, Alaska, California, Phillipines, Sudan, Singapore...taking my courses (And they may need help understanding my "Ro-diland" accent) but more importantly, the transcribed narration allows you to take these slides and use them in your own classroom. (or, if you find my voice putting you to sleep, you can just read the slides instead)

Good luck this semester! I look forward to working and collaborating with you.

Dave Fontaine
====================================================
STOP--DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER UNTIL YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE.
====================================================
922-Session 1 "eBooks-What They Are and What Do They Look Like!!!"


This semester will take us onto a new path!

A path that leads to more collaboration--

more cooperative learning---

and more opportunities to create differentiated instruction and visual learning---all with the goal of helping foster literacy, and learning, for our students.



 Here is a taste of the excitement that awaits you when you download our first session.



Good luck and take plenty of notes because I don't want to miss any of your ideas, excitement, and insights when you post your comments!

You may also read past participants' comments here and here. Some people find reading them before the session helps with their perspective.
Have fun!

Dave







10 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I would have done the reading prior to this session. I will do my best to make that happen for next time.

Anne Barnhart said...

I'm Anne Barnhart (abarnhart@westerly.k12.ri.us or anniebarnhart@gmail.com). I'm an Iowa girl, born and bred, and I attended the University of Northern Iowa for undergrad--I was an English, Spanish and Education Major and I continued my work at Teachers College at Columbia University. . .totally changed my world.

Now I just teach and love here at WHS. Yes, I'm part of the "crazy" department and I love it. Part of why we're so crazy--like all of you--is that we're constantly trying to improve our practice.

I look forward to working with our cohort to not only make change in my own classroom but in our whole school:) I love throwing ideas around, so I'm up for it any time you are!

Unknown said...

I teach math at Westerly High School ... that's it...

Unknown said...

Hi This is Stacey Leitz. My email address is sleitz@westerly.k12.ri.us. I went to Siena College in New York and majored in Biology. I worked at Natures Classroom for 3 years and then went on to URI to get my teaching certificate and complete a MATCP. I worked for 3 years at Attleboro High School before starting at Westerly High School. I currently teach Physical Science as well as an online course (Forensic Science) through Virtual High School. I am hoping to learn some new and exciting ways to improve my teaching, and students learning, by taking this course.

Anonymous said...

Shelby Worsham

sworsham@westerly.k12.ri.us

Rhode Island College

Teaching History:
Cosmetology Instructor at Westerly High School.

I am looking for new ways to engage my students in their theory assignments, as most of my students are hands on learners.

Bill Varden said...

I'm Bill Varden (wvarden@westerly.k12.ri.us). I have 3 degrees from URI (B.S. Engineering, MBA, and MA Education)...so its nice to take a course for free. : )
I've been teaching at Westerly High School for 6 years. Currently I teach all flavors of Physics. Next year I will be teaching Astronomy and am looking forward to having an e-book for the class.

Sharon Ficarra said...

HI, I'm Sharon Ficarra, my email is sficarra@westerly.k12.ri.us, I have a BS in Mathematics, Secondary teaching certification in RI and am National Board Certified. I began teaching at the High school level in 1997 in Connecticut and taught in CT for 3 years before coming to Westerly High School. I taught in Westerly at the High School from 2000 to 2007 and then became a K-12 Mathematics Coordinator for the district. I hope to learn how to create a digital presense and a digital curriculum to improve my communication with all grade levels at Westerly Public Schools.

Unknown said...

Hello World - Susan Wood (swood@westerly.k12.ri.us). I am a Technology Teacher at Westerly High School. I have a Computer Technology Degree from Rhode Island College. I began my career here as a computer Tech and began teaching 9 years ago. this year I have just started teaching a video gaming class and I am really enjoying this class. There is a lot to learn. Basically I love technology.

I am taking this class to learn how to create a digital course and curriculum for my classes. And also to learn about all of the digital resources there are. I look forward to sharing ideas with everyone.

Unknown said...

Hello- Melissa Tallardy (mtallardy@westerly.k12.ri.us) I am an English teacher at Westerly High School. I currently teach both grades 10 and 12.

I hope to learn ways in which I can infuse a digital experience in my classes.

EnglishTeacher said...

Hi! It's Andrea :) So, I don't know how I did it, but I think I introduced myself in the other section... Not sure what I did wrong, or if I did something wrong, but I want to get the hang of this and learn all that I can. :)