In Session 3's 'Readings' in the syllabus, I had you read a little about CK-12. (Based upon a comment from one of you last session, you can get carried away exploring its resources.) They currently have mostly STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) subject material, but their plan is to expand soon and include the humanities, arts, and material for primary students.
There are many of you taking this course who teach in the latter subject areas, but if CK-12's model holds true, then they will have textbooks and workbooks in your disciplines w/i the next year or two.
Now you won't be taking this course in a year or two, so I'd like you to spend some time this week poring through CK-12's resources and practicing with the interface, so when that day comes you'll be the first one in your school to be using this great tool.
Let's start by watching this brief intro. video that my friend Neeru put together recently to introduce herself and CK-12.
Now, in case you didn't get a chance to do the readings from last week or need a refresher, give their, 'About Us' page a skim now. When you've finished I'd like you to read the most recent news articles about them from 2012.
You should be pretty excited and inspired about the possibilities at this point. I was when I first learned about them in 2008. I reached out to Neeru to explore building a collaboration and she flew me out to Silicon Valley in November '08 to meet with her, and her co-founder, about their work. I was so enthralled that I decided to add their resources to this course to help share their vision, and also to help contribute to the movement myself.
Imagine if our school districts began to use open education resources (OER) to 'collectively' write our own textbooks and curriculum material, and then began sharing them with each other. Sounds beyond reach doesn't it? But some systems and State Dept.'s of Education are trying just that. Read about Virginia for example. There's more about their plan here as well. And those are over four years old!
Now CK-12 just really began taking off around August of '08, so as I mentioned above, they don't have every discipline yet. But, like I said, they plan to broaden to other areas soon. Here's a brief demonstration to watch.
Introducing CK-12 Foundation's Digital Learning Tools - #2 from CK-12 Foundation on Vimeo.
Now if this all scares you a little or you feel a little intimidated---that's justified. I'm sure that you have a lot of questions. The biggest concern I hear is about the quality of the information. We'll go into more detail about that in the next few sessions, but for now think about how many teachers stray from the textbooks in their class and instead use quality, credible information that they have screened using their professional judgment.
Now think about how much information teachers have in their heads. If they took the time to write it out, and share it freely with the world, we would have a tremendously powerful tool. I'd like you to spend the rest of your time trying to play with CK-12's Flexbooks. See if you can find one to use in your educational setting, and as I mentioned before, don't write it off so quickly b/c they don't have anything in your discipline or grade level just yet. The practice today, will pay off tomorrow.
For those of you that are really fast learners, you may watch this quick start guide.
But for most of us we want a slower (if you haven't already and want a slower step-by-step walk through) register on the site. Here's how:
For those of you that are really fast learners, you may watch this quick start guide.
But for most of us we want a slower (if you haven't already and want a slower step-by-step walk through) register on the site. Here's how:
How to browse for their content
Here comes the good part, "Searching" pause it as she goes through directions and try to recreate:
Basic Customization
To be perfectly honest, most people just access and use these Flexbooks, rather than make changes to them to personalize things for their educational setting, so we're going to skip the editing and creating from scratch directions, but you can watch them if you're interested, both titles are links.
When you're ready to move to the advanced stage, like adding images, links, multimedia, equations, or importing documents into your flexbook then you can view more tutorials here.
So, for those of you that think you have topics w/i CK12's database, please begin to experiment and collate your flexbook. Review the video tutorials a few times if you need to and remember, you can add additional content to these over time, perpetually improving upon your eTextbook.
For those of you that can't find content here, please focus your attention back on OER Commons (from Session 3) and begin to collate material, connect the content to CCSS, that you can use for your digital chapter or book. Remember, your over arching goal for taking this course is to create a digital chapter, multiple chapters, or even an entire eTextbook to support your discipline.
Good luck and as always please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Dave Fontaine
DaveFontaine1@gmail.com




13 comments:
Hi everyone,
Interesting article emailed from eSN News today: http://www.eschoolnews.com/2013/02/17/schools-confront-digital-textbook-challenges/?
It makes me excited that we are on the forefront of exploring and using these resources since it seems they are just on the brink of becoming a widespread and all encompassing presence in and out of the classroom. I do worry/wonder about how districts will financially satisfy the need for intense tech support when there is such high use of tech devices.
Thanks,
Stacey
Stacey,
As I struggle with getting a simple email glitch addressed this week, I totally understand what you mean about the tech support. I get nervous about the Pandora's Box component of any change!
anne
I'll limit my comments to a few. . .haha.
First, as I explore more and more of the interfaces I don't know why but expect them to be more interactive/exciting/whatever--not that kids always need exciting, but the way our students' generation experiences the world is so different than just a text book on a screen. Maybe I just haven't explored enough, but I really like the concept so I'm pumped.
My next little point has to do with the Arizona West Valley article about adopting CK12 in their school and working together to implement it. I see using the site or something like it (potentially) to align with common core for departments. For example if we could use the more concept/module approach to craft common docs/lessons for our school to use. Not sure if I'm being clear, but let me know if you want further info about my idea:)
Ok, next for the flip. I know that it is a hot topic right now, but a few things I LOVE about it are that it allows kids to do it at their pace, giving the opportunity to really cross-explore with other sites etc--like I do, really, as an adult learner. What I get nervous about is that if we're asking them to read/listen/explore, we NEED to TEACH them how to do those skills--ie active listening, notetaking, etc.
Finally, I just want to share the funny Wiki prayer in Richardson’s book. . .hilarious.
Please grant me the serentity to accept the pages I cannot edit,
The courage to edit the pages I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
It made me really think about what this will mean as we move toward creating our chapters/books/etc. When to recreate parts of already-created resources, when to add, when to take out, and when to accept when we don't have to recreate the wheel, but to make it our own.
See you all in a few days
Stacey,
I continue to hope that as districts stop spending so much money on textbooks, we will be able to reallocate the funds towards the support of technology. Two years go our department spent nearly $ 50,000 on books we are barely using...money which can be used elsewhere.
Melissa
Anne and Andrea
I am most excited about merging much of what I have already done (and a whole lot more) into one flexbook rather than so many separate documents and links. We have often worked outside the traditional text, but this provides us a way to organize it and make it public.
Melissa
In playing around with starting a flexbook I realize the time necessary to build this. Like anything new, it takes time to figure out the process, and in this case it requires a great deal of thinking to organize my teacher thoughts. I am excited though in the idea that after the first time I work through it I can revise and edit it to remain useful and relevant.
Hi, All,
Last night, after remembering that there is not much to work with on CK12 in our content area, (Melissa and Anne) I decided to view the Connexions site just to see how it worked. Even though it is geared toward college students, I wasn't that impressed. To begin, the site seems to run slow, which is understandable considering the millions of users. A source that is a wealth of information, can be great, but only if it is user friendly; an important point that I think we need to remember when instructing high school students. What frustrates me is the "Search" feature... maybe I'm doing something incorrectly, but it seemed very difficult to use.
I have enjoyed looking at the content on the OER Commons site; I am still wondering what my final product will be. Should we create a group on OER Commons? Connecting with what Melissa and Stacey said about the money spent on textbooks, I agree that wasted funds are a travesty in public education; those books were grammar books and each year, I always feel like I need to do more to beef up grammar instruction in my classes and it's never perfect... Maybe I can experiment with this in my flexbook...
Hi Everyone,
I hear what we are all saying about the technology concerns. I hope that as we continue to stay current and move with the technology trends that the school district supports the tech needs.
When I am looking at my subject area I am doing so with the anticipation that most text will need to be updated because technology changes constantly. This fact makes these ebooks a good fit for technology topics but also makes me a little concerned about being able to keep the content current.
Hi everyone,
I discovered the CK12 site 3 years ago and loved what they had to offer. I called the non-profit just make sure I was not wrong in assuming that we could download their materials FREE!! The Math Department was struggling to find a Book that was appropriate for our new Statistics class and needed to improvise. We used the site to customize materials with chapters and sections that applied to what we were going to include in our curriculum.
As with everything new program or material you find, there were some parts we loved an some we did not, but at least it gave us a starting point. I believe Pina did expand and add to some of the units.
When I spoke with the liason from the company she told me that if the disctrict wanted to create print versions they had suggestions for companies out in CA that would do the custom printing. I did not look into this as it was pricy:)
In Math, with the new common core standards rollout this year it is more and more neccessary to customize our own curriculum materials and personalize what we do. Digitizing is really the only way to do this.
Great resource! Sharon F.
Hi everyone,
I also wanted to share that one Math curriculum support that we have been using in grade K, 1 & 2 with the new standards is an all on-line curriculums. We are writing our own curriculum maps and are drawing from the on-line curriculum from Origo education called "Stepping Stones" as well as from print materials we already own.
Additionally in Grades 6,7, and 8 we are using another on-line resource called "Big Ideas math". We are piloting this curriculum in several classes and love all of the "extras" that are on the site for the studens to access. It is convenient to always have teacher and student books at our finer tips also.
Just wanted to share:) Sharon F.
I really enjoyed this lesson 4, cant believe how many free online courses that are offered WOW! I was slightly disappointed that I was able to locate anything in culinary but hoping they will soon add more information. I idea of saving money and not purchasing text books is so ideal.
When our math dept. put together the stats book from ck-12 and any supplementals we added, we saved the district $9,000. It was alot of work, but it was worth it. We had to create a paper copy however.
I look forward to a digital copy that has all hte bells and whisles of videos for explanations. I actually am playing with educreations right now and its rather funny to hear yourself being taped..
In all of this, I do worry about our struggling students and how they will keep track of all the different addresses, websites that they will have to visit and use, and will they get distracted or frustrated if the technology does not work quickly.. I know we do.. I have wanted to try the flip classroom concept, but have not because of fear the students will not put the time in. I may use it as a pilot with one concept and see how it goes.
I am pleased to see I finally figured out how to get to our class page and sign in to blog..
Really liked the CK-12 books. A nice variety for Physics. Some were like a regular textbook only on-line and others (People's Physics) had rich content with videos, simulations etc.
I did fall into the trap of spending a couple of hours just looking through the materials like a kid in a candy store.
One concern that we as educators will need to address: As we move to a wider variety of rich on-line resources which seems to lend itself well to differentiated instruction, we'll definitely need some type of Learning Management System (Moodle etc.) to use in conjunction with the e-textbooks the track and assess the progress of our students. Who's on what, when and how deep will be more difficult to gauge.
Post a Comment