Thursday, July 28, 2011

922-Final Project descriptions and links

Well--Our semester is coming to a close. The Final Projects will need to be completed by midnight on Friday, July 29th, so please spend some time going through everything to make sure that you are finished.  Please post a brief description of your Final Project and a link to where you uploaded it in the comments section below.  Many of you will have placed your Final Project on Curriki, so just give us the link to it in the comments here. 

I will be going through all of the material over the course of next week and will then contact you with your final grade.  

Good luck and as always, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.


Dave

9 comments:

Mary said...

I posted this to the last sessions blog but neglected to include the works cited.

Here is the Curriki link to my "WG Things ~ Learning 2.0" blog
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_megotham/WGThingsLearning20?bc=&viewer=info.

Here is the link to my works cited page: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15neIFFYb3XuElTMxhf57D_iKwpNsDrA_oC8PG_7_KSw/edit?hl=en_US.

Angela Tarr said...

I’ve started a wiki for library research. I teach the students about things like how to avoid plagiarism or evaluating websites. I love the idea of having those lessons posted somewhere for the students to go back to them. I have a couple on my library home page, but I don’t think too many students go there. With the wiki I can have all of my handouts, PowerPoints, video links, etc. in one spot for the students to access when they need them. If they were absent and missed something, want to see or read something a second time, or if they’ve lost a handout, they can go to the wiki and get it.
I follow a librarian named Michelle Luhtala from New Canaan High School in Connecticut (http://www.nchslmc.org/) She does webinars on edweb.net that are fabulous. One of her last webinars was on using videos for teaching. She records her little mini – very mini – like two minutes – lessons so the students can access them when they need them. Here’s an example: http://www.youtube.com/user/loots1964#p/search/0/cPSo81okS8c My goal this year is to work with my technology integrator to record some of the most important lessons so that the kids can access them 24/7 at the moment they need that specific information or direction. Michelle is one of my library heroes. (Joyce Valenza is the other. http://springfieldlibrary.wikispaces.com/ is Joyce’s library’s wiki. http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/neverendingsearch/ is her blog on SLJ. Both of these amazing librarians are on Twitter. I read anything I can find that either of them has to say. I steal as many of their ideas as I can.)
The two English teachers I’m going to start with to add to this research wiki are not available at the moment, so I’ll have to wait until school starts to work with them to put the senior project information on the wiki. The seniors get so stressed out about the senior project. Having one place to go to get all of their resources will help alleviate some of that stress. It may also help the new teacher and I stay more organized helping those students. (Our senior project has always been part of English 12; this year it will be a separate course.) I think this wiki is a great start to keeping the students in that course on track for the project.
I think I’ve got a good start on the wiki, but I’m stalled at this point until I get together with the two senior English teachers. We’re also supposed to be upgrading to Destiny this summer for our new cataloging system, but that’s not moving along as quickly as I’d like. I will have all kinds of new things to learn and teach when we upgrade. I will be posting much more on the print resource page when we get our new system.
I’d be more than happy to get some suggestions. The wiki is at www.flbresearch.wikispaces.com
Dave, am I okay with using links to sites? For example, we use the Purdue OWL website for several things. Do I have to do anything citation-wise when I link to another site?

Carolyn said...

I have posted some work on book trailers (lesson plan, rubric-remixed! and a sample book trailer) There are a couple of links embedded into the lesson plan that are quite helpful if you're interested in teaching book trailers.

Here's the link
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_clynkelly/Booktrailers

kmercado said...

Dave - I posted my final. The link is http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Mercado%2C+Karen-Midterm

I'm not sure where to place my evaulative comments after viewing the rubric and making changes...

also... I'm not sure how to allow remixing of my materials, but I will research that today and hopefully figure it out before our midnight deadline

Karen M.

thisisteresat said...

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1gYZiObwgAW1OUyGZBm84K9_m1y68GLcAZDtj4itSSng

Since I am not a classroom teacher, I partnered with an American History teacher to create a resource guide for her slavery unit. I am not a content area expert, so I guided students through readings, primary sources and primary source collections found on the web instead of trying to pretend I knew enough to write my own material! I relied a lot on the Digital History site that the teacher I worked with uses often, since it would be familiar to her students. I also relied heavily on the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress' online collections of primary source documents. All of these resources are available to use as long as they are linked to and/or source credit is attributed to the proper site. I tried to do both, even though a great many of these materials are old enough to be outside of copyright laws. I really tried to find materials that were more than just text-based, to address different learning styles, but, knowing the group of students the material is for, I did aim the material for their average reading level. I really feel that this document will be quite useful to the teacher and her students (also why I chose to use Google Docs instead of Curriki--keeping with the familiar format they already work with) and creating it was challenging and enjoyable.

It's been wonderful reading everyone's midterms and learning from each other throughout this course. Enjoy the rest of your summer everyone!

Anonymous said...

Here is the link to my Padua Academy national History Day Wiki on Curriki: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_brusz/PaduaAcademyNationalHistoryDayWiki?bc=
I set up the wiki using Google sites. After school starts, I will need to close down the permissions so that only students and teachers at my school have access. All content on the wiki is original to me and my school, and I have permission to use it. I am very happy that I had the time to go through this exercise. Now I am excited about creating other types of digital content for my students. My principal is wildly enthusiastic about my new skills, always a good thing for job security! I think my next project will be screen shot videos of how to use our electronic resources. I can embed these in web pages for my students!

Anonymous said...

Here is a link to the original site on Google. Some of the Curriki links in the comments are hard to copy and paste. In Curriki, my resource is under search terms for history and information literacy.
https://sites.google.com/a/paduaacademy.org/national-history-day-wiki/home

Barbara Connolly said...

Since I am a high school librarian, my unit is teaching the research process to ninth grade English classes. The lessons in this unit cover the entire research process except for the actual writing, which the English teacher will do in her own classroom. The research process starts with choosing topics based on a nonfiction book they read, Chew on This, and developing essential questions and supporting questions, which I ask students to share on a class blog. I also ask students to read each other’s work and make comments and/or suggestions on the blog. As we get into the actual searching for information, I ask students to share any interesting articles or web sites they find. I’m always impressed with the quality of the sources students can find when they learn advanced searching techniques and how to evaluate web sites. You can view the unit at the Curriki web site: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_beconnolly/ResearchProcessUnit

Jacque said...

I created a unit on Book Trailers. There are three main lessons that will each span a few days. They include links to a courseware I designed to refresh students on different genre definitions, youtube and resource links.

Curriki Link:
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_jwrightson/BookTrailers