Wednesday, July 13, 2011

922-Session 13/14-Using and Sharing OER's

Welcome to our last session of the semester: "Using and Sharing OER's"

Let's start this week's session with an introduction video from Brett Shelton on our topic.  He has created the last Curriki OER Module that we will be viewing this semester.  This unit explores open educational resources and the critical role of this educational technology as one tool in the transformation of education. This module is designed as an introduction to composing, adapting, and designing your own Open Educational Resources (OERs), with a special emphasis on the using and sharing of OERs. Using information contained in the Open Educational Resources Handbook, this lesson will help students consider aspects of instructional design in order to create their own OER for sharing with others. Students will work to apply the concepts presented and discussed in the OER Handbook to complete and share a lesson plan. A review of the materials concerning copyright, finding and evaluating of OERs is expected before exploring this module.

Here is a link to this week's module.  You don't have to actually do the assignments, but go through them to make sure that you have all of the skills, resources, and information necessary for a global view.  Again some of the material may go above and beyond what you need for your particular educational setting, but if you are ever asked to put together a truly informational presentation on the topic, then this material will really aid you with this.

Reminder:  As stated in the syllabus, please post your midterm assignment to the wiki and write a brief description of it under Session 12's blog entry (please also include a link to that wiki page). This should be completed before Tuesday, July 19th. 

Reminder:  Final Project material will be published within Curriki (as stated in the syllabus).  Soon I will post a blog entry where you may write a brief description of your Final Project, include the link to the Curriki page, and say your final goodbyes to your fellow participants.  All Final Projects are due by midnight on Friday, July 29th.

Good luck and as always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions along the way. 
DF

14 comments:

Angela Tarr said...

Mary, your midterm presentation is amazing! I don't know much about Prezi, but I want to learn now!

Anonymous said...

I have uploaded my midterm...and I have sent a copy to my principal. Now there is no turning back!!!

KFesta said...

I enjoyed reviewing the midterm projects. Job well done everyone! Angela, I'm with you on your comment. Mary had a very impressive midterm. I loved the style of presentation. If I loved it, I can imagine how the students would react. Sonja, it was nice to see your proposal on flexbooks. I too thought flexbooks were a great idea at the elementary level. :)

Anonymous said...

Help! I have a powerpoint presentation, but am not sure how to upload it to the wiki- My powerpoint is about using Curriki as a collaborative tool especially for those of us who are the only ones teaching a topic (library) at a particular grade level.
Betci

Mary said...

@Ms. Weldon, I think this will work... go to the wiki, click on your name, click on edit, hit the "file" button in the top menu. You should be able to upload your Pp from here. Good luck.

Carolyn said...

@Mary
I'm planning on looking more closely into the link you provided from a PD 2 years ago. It looks interesting. Also, I've been doing a lot with book trailers (which is some of the stuff I'm posting to Curriki) and I came across an article mention you. Did you Photostory or another software?

Anonymous said...

I have posted my lesson on simple machines on Curriki. Here is the link: http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_bweldon/Exploringsimplemachines?viewer=info&bc=

Mary said...

@Carolyn,
I've worked with a number of classes to make book trailers using Animoto. It's so easy. A few of my ambitious students created a script, acted out and videotaped their own book trailer. Personally, I don't think it matters what tool they use, the more choices and variety the better. Good luck.

Mary said...

I have created a blog that will hopefully facilitate professional development in my building/district for teachers to learn Web 2.0. The idea is to have teachers follow the directions, links... each week and blog about their experiences to their colleagues. As one of the librarians in the district, I will support teacher learning and encourage, support and collaborate on classroom use of the web 2.0 tools featured.

Here is the description posted on the blog: "Bring 21st Century Learning into your classroom. This fun, easy program will help you explore & expand Internet use & Web 2.0. WG Things keeps you connected to your colleagues as you explore. Simply share your questions, discoveries and ideas for classroom use in this blog. Your librarian will work with you and your students as you implement web 2.0 into your classroom."

Here is the link to my Curriki posting http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_megotham/WGThingsLearning20?bc=&viewer=info. Please keep in mind that it is a work in progress.

Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolyn said...

I have posted some work on book trailers (lesson plan, rubric-remixed! and a sample book trailer) There are a couple of links embedded into the lesson plan that are quite helpful if you're interested in teaching book trailers.

Here's the link
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_clynkelly/Booktrailers

KFesta said...

I have posted my final project under curriki.
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_kfesta/KindergartenLetterIDLessonPlans?bc=
They are interactive Kindergarten Letter ID lesson plans. You can also visit my wikispace @
http://karenfesta.wikispaces.com/

Jacque said...

Here is the link to my midterm.

Mary said...

@Jacque, I wasn't able to view your Prezi. You might have to mark your Prezi "Public" before all of us are able to view it.