Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Final Projects

Your Final Projects are due by midnight on 4/13 est.  You are asked to upload all of your material to Curriki then post a small description below this entry while including a url to your Curriki product.  Please double check all links to ensure that they are working.  Once I review your Final Projects, I will send you a confirmation and grade.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.  I've been fielding the questions when they come in.  One recent issue was with the formatting being lost in Curriki.  Please see my response below:
"Try typing everything in MS Word and then uploading it.  I believe that way it will retain the formatting. Another alternative is to type it into a Google Doc and then 'share' it with everyone.  This option will give your document its own url which you can then paste into Curriki with an explanation."

15 comments:

Mrs. Hobson-Dupont said...

We think we've done it! We're hoping that the format stayed true to the original epub document that was created using MS Word and Apple's Pages. Here is the URL to our final project that has been uploaded to Curriki. Copy and paste the following URL:
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_Janiehd/AVisitorsGuidetothePlanets?bc=
Curriki will give you the option of downloading the document. When you download it, the document should open up iTunes and you can locate it under "Books." Enjoy "A Visitor's Guide to the Planets!"

Mrs. Hobson-Dupont said...

After a little experimenting to make sure all of our links worked, we find that opening the book in Adobe Digital Editions is a much less complicated way to view our final project. You can download Adobe Digital Editions for free.

Mrs. Hobson-Dupont said...

This is an original post that we are re-writing because our first seems to have disappeared. We have finished our final product and have uploaded it to Curriki. Here is the link to view it:
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_Janiehd/AVisitorsGuidetothePlanets?bc=
This was uploaded as an epub file which we just found out is easier to open and view using Adobe Digital Editions, although iTunes may automatically open up and download it under "BOOKS." Our final project is titled: A Visitor's Guide to the Planets and was written by Mrs. Printer's fourth graders. A more detailed description of the project can be found under the CONTENT tab in Curriki.

Anonymous said...

Please click on the link below to access my Google Doc lesson plan about Mardi Gras. Within the lesson I have embedded the documents I used such as the group topics list, participation checklist and rating sheet.

https://docs.google.com/a/westwarwickpublicschools.com/document/d/1cXrgozAL6wCJulUGY_hkUNEXE7vTCRMep-I0y20Tr-4/edit

If you go to Curriki and search for "Mardi Gras in New Orleans" you will find my contribution.
The google doc link is also on Curriki, in addition to a video and a music clip that I used when I taught this lesson.

Enjoy, and don't forget.....
laissez les bons temps rouler!!

Mrs. Hobson-Dupont said...

Here is the link for Adobe Digital Editions:

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Anonymous said...

I hope that the various links in my Curriki upload work!
You should be able to access 4 resources:
The lesson plan
A video clip
A music clip
A photo slideshow

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Art Searle said...

Curriki.org is a platform so full of rich potential, but maddeningly frustrating, with a truly awful user experience. As a publishing tool, it failed me miserably. I am reasonably tech savvy, yet lost more work and had to exercise more do overs posting this project than any project in recent memory. My project is posted at http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_arttsearle/MMColorSorter. However, the content posted is not the current state of the project. Layout and formatting is a mess. Attempts to edit or even delete the content simply fail, and I've tried multiple browsers, computers and operating systems. The project is in some type of purgatory or holding pattern. On a bright note, the curriculum alignment tool is fantastic, and if you click the alignment tab, you'll see what I believe is a sound alignment to Common Core for this project. You can view the *real* project at http://goo.gl/mpCoA.

Art Searle said...

Sorry for ranting...

Anonymous said...

I have learned so much in this course! Thank you to Dave for presenting so much valuable information to us. Also, thank you to my classmates who raised some interesting points on our class blog. I have learned which technological devices may be the best fit for me, I have learned more about digital books and why they should be implemented in schools, and I have learned how to browse and post OER. I wonder when my school district will start to introduce digital textbooks, and how we will get the funds to do so. I also wonder what the response from teachers will be when our resources become more technological.

For my final project, I have uploaded a lesson about making inferences, as well as a PowerPoint presentation to accompany the lesson. Graphic organizers and examples are provided. Here are the links to my final project:
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_saragoldenberg/MakingInferences
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_saragoldenberg/MakingInferences_0

Anonymous said...

Art - I completely share your frustrations with Curriki! I too had so many problems with the formatting and creating links. It was maddening!
I did not align my lesson to the standards. When I clicked on RI, even though it said Common Core, it appeared to be the older GLEs and GSEs. I need to go back and double check. I just typed the standards within my lesson plan instead.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you can align to Common Core on Curriki! I just figured it out! Yeah!

Jennifer Piehler said...

My unit was designed based on Connecticut's science standards as well as incorporating some literacy standards taken from the common core. The standards are similar to the common core and our professional learning community is continuing to modify and update our curriculum and adapt it to the new science standards. Curriculum is a living, breathing element in our careers! The unit itself is engaging for the students. I have made some slight modifications, but most of this unit is teacher tested, student approved! The link is http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_jenhawkins/AcidsBasesandNeutralization?bc=. Will be making some changes to it throughout the next few months, so will end up updating in Curriki over the summer. Thanks again Dave for the course!

Sra. Di said...

My final project can be found here:
http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_mdimascio/PreteritetenseinSpanishReviewofregularsandsomeirregulars
It is a lesson plan on the conjugation of one of the verb tenses in Spanish. I included 2 links to Prezis that I created as well as another link to a Tagxedo. I posted also a crossword puzzle. I used two activities and a quiz from Quia.com. These activities are based on someone else's activities. Just like in Curriki, you can copy and modify any activity as long as you are a member. The difference with Curriki is that it costs about $50 a year. The final assignment is a project and I posted links to the criteria chart and rubric.
Thank you all for your contributions of the class. I am so glad I took it and I got to meet such wonderful group of people. It has been a real pleasure to read your blogs every week.
Take care everyone.

librarybeth said...

My final project is now available on Curriki at http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Coll_librarybeth/IntroductingCopyrightandFairUse

It's a lesson play for introducing copyright and fair use using online resources. I'm gong to use this lesson with my fourth or fifth grade students in my library, but I think it would be useful for upper elementary and middles school students as an interesting way of introducing copyright.

I also had a hard time with the formatting on Curriki, so I deleted the version I was doing in Curriki and just uploaded a Word file with my lesson plan.

I really enjoying looking at everyone else's projects, most of which make mine look very simple! I'm impressed by how everyone has taken the many concepts in this class and started using them right away.

Anonymous said...

My final project can be viewed on Google Docs:

https://docs.google.com/a/sas.edu.sg/document/d/1b7BuLrXTq9ReNWZdTrOI0IsHTHZ7Y5nLQAB6XmTjGAo/edit

It is a lesson plan for a technology based presentation the students will create that centers around them spending $1,000,000 under a specific theme.

I viewed other contributions on Curriki but was unable to post mine. After each attempt, I received an error message stating there was a problem accessing the server.

I have been reading and enjoying everyone's contributions to this class. I apologize I was not able to be a more active member of this learning community.