This week we are focusing on eReaders. Our session is embedded below and broken up into three parts, but if you'd like to download the entire session to your computer then you can do that from this link.
The syllabus has recently been updated so be sure to view it and check out this week's new required readings. In your comments this week on our blog, please share your thoughts and experiences about your e-book reader preferences, and also do your own research (try to visit a store and test a few out, sometimes you need a push like this to get you some hands-on experience) and include a nugget of info that I didn’t cover this week to share with your peers. Next week we’ll delve into the merits of using these devices for education. There is a lot of info here comparing and contrasting. Don't get too worried if you can't retain it all. Just save these links and use them for future reference and take plenty of notes.
Additionally this week, I'd like you all to practice embedding forms into your digital books/chapters. There are more details below Session 8C below.
session8C
====================================================
Getting digital content for your chapter was only the first step in making an eBook. Its strength is compounded when we add elements to help differentiate instruction. Elements like videos, edugames, hyperlinks, images, and forms. That's right--'Forms.'
It's really one-dimensional unless we add interactivity, so this week I would like you to practice embedding a Google Form into your digital chapter. You've all created an account with Google (either gmail, blogger...).
It's really one-dimensional unless we add interactivity, so this week I would like you to practice embedding a Google Form into your digital chapter. You've all created an account with Google (either gmail, blogger...).
There are step by step screenshot images walking you through how to create a 'Form' using Google Docs here. Just read pages 52-63.
If you'd also like to see a screencast of how to create, a Google Form and embed one on a wiki page, then you can see that below. This a great video if you put your chapter on a wiki page, but don't stress if you put it somewhere else. The concept is the same for other online platforms. As always, feel free to contact me with any questions along the way.
Lastly, once you've mastered the 'Google Form' embed and placed one or two into your digital chapter, I'd like you to post a link to it, so that the rest of the class can go to it and fill in your 'form' as your 'test students.'
Once you've done that, and if you're ready for some additionally depth on using this tool to facilitate learning, then please read, "22 Useful Google Forms for Teachers and Principals" and lastly, "A New Collaboration Option in Google Forms"
As this session was posted late, and this is a Holiday weekend for many, the comments, form embeds, and links to them will not be due until 4/6.
Have fun exploring this week.
Dave
PS--Please find past participants' comments below:
Summer '12
15 comments:
Hi,
The link at
"There are step by step screenshot images walking you through how to create a 'Form' using Google Docs here. Just read pages 52-63."
does not seem to be working...
Thanks,
Stacey
I just checked it from the blog and it worked, so if anyone else is having trouble please let me know.
I am a kindle fan....personally I own a kindle fire and appreciate the cost efficiency and user ease. My children have classic kindles and read and navigate the bookstore with ease. I am curious on the professional side if this is practical when we are looking for an even more productive device. The kindle is great for entertainment and reading...but less effective for research and document creating. Certainly apps are easy to navigate, but after becoming accustomed to my iPad, the kindle lacks in school capabilities.
As for embedding, I have learned how to embed videos, links and surveys (survey monkey) next up...forms.
Happy Easter all!
Hi loves!
Unlike Melissa I have not been able to bring myself to commit to an e-reader. It's one of those my-head-is-saying-yes-my-heart-is-saying-no deals. I have heard wonderful reviews/comments/testimonials, however, of the Kindle Fire. I am thinking about getting one as I am an Amazon Prime lady and would love to "rent" one--even if it's only once a month--for the Kindle. But as Melissa said, the iPad seems a better fit for more purposes. . .decisions decisions.
The more and more I explore about schools (or at least sections of schools) who have gone e-books, they have had quite a bit of success despite the techy glitches. It will really be a change in the way I work my classroom, but I know it's an inevitable shift! As a huge nerd, I was most curious in the shift to consider how much of an impact reading off of a screen differs from paper text. Here is an interesting dissertation I found about difference in ability, motivation, etc. It’s quite interesting. . .scroll down to the discussion section if you want a quick overview. It addresses statistically some issues I’ve had with the idea of using this kind of text. It makes me feel better http://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1663&context=doctoral
Well, I keep searching for info to use in my chapter and have successful embedded my form into my Chapter! I love Google Forms…so easy and sooooo perfect for formatively assessing! Feel free to complete my form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17zRwm6HP9NGssLQ3nHZ0CaD-JfGD8K5ySMYL2SjGlrk/viewform
anne
What a great topic, e-reader like a kiddle versus a laptop/PC and tablets. Well I personally tried and purchased the kindle fire about a year ago and was slightly disappointed with its features, and size though I was comparing it to a i-pad. After playing with the fire for about 2 days I returned the fire to the store and purchased a i-pad. Now I have a personal i-pad and a laptop/tablet called the twist. I find that each one has it pros and cons. I find using the i-pad for reading is much easier versus the twist based on size and weight. Even though they are both tablets are able to do almost same task I find that the I pad is easier to use and it more user friendly.
I believe that the technology department of Westerly Public schools just purchase some chrome books for the students in westerly. i am not sure what school they are going to be deployed but they are configured to the district network and is ready for deployment. On a side note the Westerly Public Library offers e books. I forgot how many e books are currently in their inventory but i know that on a monthly basis they purchase more. Here is the link to the westerly public library e-book collection
http://www.supportlibrary.com/nt/landing.cfm?x=1088&menu=bccarousel&submenu=bcsignup
I found this article last night and wanted to share it to you as it related to libraries and what they are doing to move into the 21 century of technology.
http://edudemic.com/2013/03/technologies-forever-changing-school-libraries/
Hi all,
I currently use my Android phone as an e-reader since I have a Kindle App on it but I also bought an iPad recently.
Here is a fun little example of a Google Form that I created: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zU7WREDeXgCnP5P0qVv-7vppOiLeOjFvBfkpRAj8dSU/viewform
I had never created a Google Form before so it is a whole new world for me and I like it! I will probably use it somehow this week in class!
Stacey
Hi All,
Well I guess I will weigh in on the e-reader discussion. I spent a lot of time looking at this topic for various reasons. Last year we had many discussions around this topic when looking at devices for the champlin grant and other school uses. I had an ipad for a year and liked it. But I have to admit I found myself using it less and less as I was frustrated by limitations in regard to what I call "productivity". I find this to be true of most tablets. I own a Google Nexus 7 tablet. This has the Android operating system as does the kindle. I downloaded the kindle app on my device and so it is just like having a kindle. I like the desktop better and it is less controlling in regard to how it is set up. I love it for watching ted tv, reading books and magazins especially while traveling. It is not to useful for creating any documents.
I have looked at the chrome notebook it kind of has the power of a netbook. I personally like the new windows tablet/laptop "SURFACE" it comes in a small version called the surface RT and as a fullblown laptop/tablet "Surface PRO"
I am waiting until it has been out a little while to get the bugs out but I will be getting the surface PRO I think.
I do beleive however that the ipad has been on the leading edge of producing great apps for education but their proprietary behavior turns me off.
OH, on another note. In addition to google apps Windows Live also has forms an features for surveys. I like to use windows live because it links back to excel with the data and I can do more with the data. We all have accoutn with windows live from school as do the kids. With this account we have access to the entire office package on line. The kids can use this from home so their work will be compatible with our programs at school.
One way that I use this form/survey is when my kids have to evaluate their fellow students work or presentations. I give them the link to the form and they enter their ratings. These back fill a spreadsheet and I can sort their responces to compare their evaluations. They can use their phones or pc's with these forms.
I loved the google forms feature. I made one for my digital text and then I made one for my immediate use. The feature I like the best is that you can create a spreadsheet with all of the answers with the click of a button. I asked 60 honors students to respond to a survey and in one easy to read spreadsheet their answers appeared. Great for formative assessments or for reflections.
Here's my link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1z5J9x3Ya8vfNroEPIgsuLkCCYVmBU8NCPuXBlLCvSwA/viewform
The google forms feature is cool! I hope to start using it in my classroom for surveys and formative assessments.
Here's the link to mine:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tPyLBJ8p-owytzbSmpCTcJdEGyAsIuHV8B2cPiKMxFA/edit
I'm still up in the air about what tablet platform to go with. The Ipad has a great interface and lots of apps but I think its a little pricey. I have a Nook (guess I'm in the minority) and I love it for reading. It's the right size for travel, has a great interface but definitely has limitations.
I agree with Sue on conerns with the Ipad for productivity such as creating documents. Yes you can get an add-on keyboard, but for a school setting you really need all your hardware in one package.
The latest android os (chromebook) easily allows a "many users one machine" type of configuration so students could easily share the device and only have access to their files. My understanding is that the Ipad is not easily configured for this.
Hi, All! Here is the link to my Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WzVZgHsYysPNI8maNP3BuxRXMzn6mZ-hlXYkj2vdCMA/viewform
Anne and I worked on revising the 3.2 Common Core Unit for sophomores and we created the list of questions that I put into my form in order to create a more concise formative assessment; the one that we created prior was good, but too involved to give immediate feedback to teachers and students. It will be great to make this form available to teachers in the fall!
I really like the potential of Google Forms and I really hadn't thought much about it until Melissa showed me a form that she created for her class, and the spreadsheet containing all of the results- how efficient to have all of the results in one place! Seems like aps are also doing the same- collecting and publishing results for immediate viewing (Socrative, etc.). I know that these will really help me in my classroom, but I feel like I need more time (alas, I just do not have it...) to practice using the technology and figuring out how to maximize its usage for teaching and learning.
As far as E-Readers are concerned, I am not too excited about them, personally. Perhaps I am still old-fashioned; I like actually turning the pages of a book. I have downloaded a couple of books onto my iPad 2 (my husband bought it for me for my birthday, so I really did not get to think much about it prior) but I haven't used it much for reading. I did, however, read M. Gladwell's Outliers on it last summer, and it worked well. I do think that E-Readers will make a difference for many students, though, and will motivate students who are otherwise reluctant to pick up books. I am not sure it is worth it for me to just have a device for electronic reading; I do like the fact that the iPad can be used for much more, but I feel like Susan does about the difficulty of producing documents on the iPad. I bought a keyboard for the work iPad (the iPad 3) and it is better for typing.
Hi everyone,
Here is Google Form I created for my class this week. I love how easy it is to use and the organization of the results!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1LnuCCLOXmlcMSLyz6aN4JjlBHDSgJrdJNUqA3z1BRbQ/viewform
Here is a link to a summary of the results for this Form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1LnuCCLOXmlcMSLyz6aN4JjlBHDSgJrdJNUqA3z1BRbQ/viewanalytics
Best thing ever :o)
Stacey
Post a Comment