Welcome to Session 9
You can't talk about eBooks and Digital Content and not address Apple's dominance in the tablet arena. There's no doubt that their current market share (51% in 2012) is a force to be reckoned with. I've taught this course a few times before, but its content and focus has shifted a tremendous amount. What was important and trendy in the 2010 Spring semester is very different today. The first iPads didn't hit the shelves until April of 2010. No one could have predicted the explosive growth, so given this information I've decided to spend the bulk of this week on Apple's iPad and the new iBooks product.
In March of 2012 Apple came out with their newest version of the iPad. Some call it the iPad 3, but that's not official.
Learn about it here, but I warn you, you'll probably want to buy one after this:
Then see some of the engineers demo the product:
And lastly, here are some of the additional features:
In March of 2012 Apple came out with their newest version of the iPad. Some call it the iPad 3, but that's not official.
Learn about it here, but I warn you, you'll probably want to buy one after this:
Then see some of the engineers demo the product:
And lastly, here are some of the additional features:
Now let's transition to their most recent publicity hype for the new iBooks project called the Apple Education Event read about it here. Let's remember though that as interesting as this sounds it's all just a big commercial. Apple's in the business of making money, so you won't find many mentions of Open Content. The first 10 minutes are just talking, but the demonstration starts around minute 10.
Now a few of you may be interested in learning how to create books using Apple's iBooks Author tool. It may be too advanced for most of you, but if you ever want to learn how you can always come back to our class web blog here and refresh your memories. We hear about that here.
Now if you wanted to find textbooks for your iPad then you can see an overview here:
==============================================================
Now the flipside
We've now seen the promos, infomercials, and Apple employee demos, so let's balance things out with some outside reviews, analysis, and feedback.
First let's start with a webcast recording from Edukwest entitled: "What do iBooks mean for the eBook/eTextbook industry?"
You can take a break now! Go for a walk and clear your head. I'm sure that's been a lot of video. When you come back I'd like you to read, "The new iPad (2012) review" from iMore. They have a nice breakdown of the pros, cons, and overall assessment.
===============================================================
Next you can use the following three sections as a go-to guide to help you answer most of the faq's.
2012 iPad buyer's guide
2012 iPad user's guide
===========================================================
I hope I didn't drown you too much in everything 'iPad'. And if you didn't finish practicing embedding some Google Forms into your digital textbook (assigned under Session 8), then please try to complete it asap.
We have two more weeks until RI school's April Break, so let's try to add as much material as we can to our eTextbook project before then and maybe we can take a week off from this work for vacation.
We have two more weeks until RI school's April Break, so let's try to add as much material as we can to our eTextbook project before then and maybe we can take a week off from this work for vacation.
7 comments:
While I agree with Sue’s comment alluding to the proprietary nature of Apple and I have my own MAJOR problems with Apple’s rhetoric in general, I have to say, the product speaks for itself. Based on these videos and some other articles I’ve read, I really find the dialogue phenomenal that has evolved from schools beginning to use the iPad in the classroom. The Bio textbook in the youtube video is inspiring. I do love the immediate feedback and notetaking, and study features, the interaction etc. and I think that it’s cool that we can make our own texts in iBooks author!
Then when they started discussing partnering with Pearson and McGraw Hill, etc. I got annoyed. The money thing—while it’s cheaper—still goes against what I love about our work with OERs. It will be a dance, I suppose, with the kinds of books we’re used to and our own work. The edukwest video’s discussion of venture capitalism and money/time saving push at the collegiate level added to my annoyance. I loved their discussion especially near the end with Christopher Dawson. They brought me down to thee ground again as they discussed how the potential in these great ideas and innovative possibilities with etexts are sullied by not only the money push but also the lack of training for how to explore and use these sources at all levels—elementary, middle, high and beyond.
Finally, I’ll add that this lesson just further shows how the 1:1 is essential for this work to be meaningful for ALL students.
Well, I’ve spent way too much consecutive time so far this morning watching these, so I’ll be back to post more later in the week!
I have truly begun to see the potential for iPads in the classroom. On my own I have begun to really explore useful apps and teacher directed uses of the iPad and like the videos show how boundless the product really is. Like Anne I am not convinced by the cost effectiveness. Understanding OERs has really opened my eyes to the opportunities which lay untapped. I don't foresee our district going all Apple so in small doses it is far less effective.
Anne, I wholeheartedly agree in regards to training. We are being exposed to tools at such a rapid pace and need to focus on thorough ways of embedding them in class, rather than just quick add-ons.
1:1 is necessary in this 21st century educational system if we are going to catch up with our counterparts around the world.
Wow! What an array of information in all of the videos! Ironically, the iPad has been available for such a short time, but people can probably spend an eternity learning about, and how to use, all of the apps and features of this device. Simply, I really like the iPad, and enjoy the convenience of using Remind 101 with my classes, but I am not planning to attend many more PD sessions for the iPad because it appears that our district is not going to move to purchase iPads if we do go 1:1. Not to mention, if teachers want to use the iPad with the whole class, the teacher must purchase the cable for the projector, Reflector, and who knows what else? It's not that I don't want to take advantage of using this great device, but I want to be prepared for the long haul, and all of this great tech stuff seems to take so much of what I feel that I have so little- time... Also, the iPad is not my first choice for reading emails since the sort feature is not the same, and not nearly as convenient, as it is in Outlook; this is the same thing that drives me crazy about Yahoo email.
Well Dave is right about one thing after watching the video's you do want to go out and buy one!! They are great and I agree with everyone in regard to the potential being there but the pd and practical uses need to be embeded in our classrooms and that takes time and money.
I am so comfortable with the pc side but apple really has some nice features when i coms to mobil apps for education.
Dave I love th links keep them coming. Such great info!
Hi,
None of the videos in this session would work for me! It says that the uploader has closed their account.
I do have an iPad and have enjoyed trying out the various applications in the classroom. I agree with Anne that 1:1 is essential to make this work meaningful for all students.
I also agree with Melissa that the iPad has not always been my 1st choice for either sending emails or posting to discussion boards for online classes because it's formatting is just not user friendly.
Stacey
Greetings all
So I am here sitting on the bus Washington dc using my I pad to review lesson 9. I feel that apple products can be niter grated into the classroom simply and easily. Currently within culinary I utilize verious apps n my classroom such as reflector. In addition I am in the process of creating a POS system (point of sales) for the highland grille that utilizes the I pad. In addition due to technolgy and apple products can take credit cards no more carbon copy crank machines. I am a true believe and love all apple products since I have a I phone, I pod, and I pad and just recently purchased a I pad for my 3 year old son. He has a newer I pad then I do.
Post a Comment