Tuesday, March 4, 2014

922-Session 2-The Ultimate Tool for Collaboration

Welcome to Session 2-Where we'll get a great overview of wikis and their connection to our course curriculum and get a small taste of Open Educational Resources.

Most of you are getting the hang of using this forum and are becoming more adept at posting and downloading. Remember to post your insights and comments in the 'comment' section (demonstration video here) and also remember to return regularly to read your peers' comments.


In order to facilitate a truly collaborative setting (one in which we can begin to foster an environment where we can benefit from the 'Collective Knowledge' of all the participants here) I am asking that you make a special, concerted effort to try to respond or comment upon, at least, one other posting from w/i each session starting with Session 2. This may mean going back and revisiting the blog after you have posted because you may be the first or second person to post your thoughts. This is not a requirement, but it is a request---one that will help benefit all of us and truly foster a collaborative network of learners and educators!  The most efficient method for this is to make sure that you have signed up for a Blogger account.  If you already have a Google account with any of G's other services like gmail or Google Docs, then you may use that.  After you post your comment to our blog and before you hit the publish button, you'll see an option to have future comments emailed to you.  Choose that.  There is a tremendous font of knowledge among this group.  Don't miss out on the insights and experiences of your peers.

===========================================

This session will find us broadening the scope of our view of wikis. This information is pertinent to our discussions on digital content because as the semester unfolds we'll see our definition of user-created content evolve.  The merging and integration of e-books with additional multimedia (screencasts, interactive simulations, podcasts, videos,...) is changing so rapidly that no one can predict what our students will be using in just a few short years.  Some surveys predict eBook penetration w/i school libraries to increase 14 fold by 2016.

We will begin this session by taking a look at the benefits of wikis, and other Web 2.0 tools, for students, teachers, and the entire educational community. We'll view some screencasts and videos that give us students' perspectives, as well as hear from teachers from across the K-12 spectrum.  Each and every one will be focused upon how Web 2.0 tools have changed the way they teach and learn, and also demonstrate how teachers are becoming the authors of Digital Content shared with the world freely under an "Open" philosophy.

And lastly, we'll end by discussing the fluid definition of the word, "literacy" and try to pin it down in a 21st century classroom---a classroom where the walls have come down and the world is flat. There are lots of different interpretations out there.  And as I stated above--prior definitions are changing quickly.  Under the subject heading of Wikis there are an increasing number of sub-headings.  Google Docs has evolved to be a very wiki-like tool.

Before you download this week's session:

  • Please read this article from SLJ called, "Things are Changing Fast."  It reminds us that those of us that run into technology-roadblocks are not alone (unfortunately). When you are finished reading that article, also read, "Not Just the Lucky Ones."
  • Then visit: http://www.edweb.net/ebooks  and join the community if you haven't already.

Lastly, you may access and read past participants' comments about the educational uses of wikis here:
Spring '13 comments,
Summer '12 comments,
Spring '12 comments
as well as here and here.


Also, please watch this video introducing you to Google Play (now has Google's digitized books initiative integrated).


Good luck and I look forward to reading your comments, insights, and reflections.




DF
PS--You may find a back-up copy of this week's presentation here. Just search for the term: "edc922" and then choose the appropriate session to view and listen to.




12 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been using a wikispace to assist parents and students by providing copies of class notes and access to assignments and videos. I am going to miss my wikispace now that we will be using Canvas. I find the wikispace easy to use as an educator. It is a simple format that is user friendly and easy to learn. Students and parent have found the charihohub wiki helpful and is is nice to have a resource to use from year to year.

John T. Caswell said...

After taking Dave's course on Wikis, Blogs and Podcasts a few years ago, I attempted to establish a blog with my students. I provided them with coded identities, opportunities to write for credit/grades, and encouraged them to write about their community/neighborhoods (geography, notable places and landmarks, local lore, etc.). The students reacted with very little interest, so I stopped. Hopefully, I will have better luck if I make another attempt. Some of my colleagues didn't seem to be too interested in establishing a group wiki or blog either. I also added a paragraph on the wiki pertaining to the establishment of the Jamestown, Virginia colony, but I don't feel comfortable enough with mainstream history to write too much about it.

Keith Moreau said...

I too attempted to get students to engage online via our Online Learning Management System (Canvas) and found students to be unresponsive. In fact, out of the 27 students in the class, only 1 commented. However, I'm hoping that when Canvas becomes an everyday reality rather than a random event, the participation and engagement will increase. Also, I stopped maintaining a website/wiki because it was way too much work and none of my students ever took advantage of it.

jack'sblog said...

This is pertinent and also interesting, if anybody has the time and/or the inclination.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/02/bestseller-novel-to-bust-author-life

jack'sblog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Donna Goodney here:
I have not yet created any "wiki" pages. I found the lesson to be very informative and helpful if I wanted to create my own wiki.
I chose to edit in "Multimedia" instead of "History" because I am very uncomfortable editting something that is not my area of expertise. Multimedia is closer to my 'comfort zone". I added beta.scocrative.com which is an updated version of the original m.socrative.com (beta means that the program is still being updated). I also added links to the website and a video tutorial.Here is the link to the page:
http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/Multimedia+Resources#

Unknown said...

I used to have a wikispace but I slowly lost interest in the wikispace and found that students were rarely utilizing the site. If students had showed more interest I would have continued to post assignments and notes. With that being said, I have to say that the wikispace was extremely easy to manage and update. It was extremely user friendly. I am hoping, like Keith, that when students are expected to use Canvas everyday next year they will become more familiar and comfortable with accessing information from an online resource.

Anonymous said...

Hi it is Jackie Haberland:

I found the articles to be very interesting trying to balance technology in education. At this point, I want to be more comfortable using online managing system (Canvas). So, next year my student will become more familiar and comfortable with accessing information from an online resource.

david said...

@jack
Wow-what a powerful article you cited above. As of today there are over 507 'comments' from people on the topic. Definitely a sign of a hot topic.

david said...

@Keith
Student engagement will always be a challenge when they have 'choice'. I'm sure that once the entire school moves towards adoption Canvas then the students and teachers will reaching critical mass and move over the tipping point towards full-scale participation.

Unknown said...

I have never used a Wikispace for students. I have started to use Canvas this year with one of my classes. I am with Keith trying to pull teeth to get them into it! I do use Schoology.com with two of my other classes and they are really good about using it and completing assignments off the site.

I do hope that when the whole school moves to canvas that students are better at actively engaging in the site! I agree with you Dave that when all of their classes are on there that it will force them to be on it more!

Unknown said...

Here is the link to updates made on the wiki: http://wikidave.wikispaces.com/ALGEBRA+ll