Monday, March 24, 2014

Session 5--What Happens When You Merge Your Curriculum and a Wiki?

Session 5---Curriki.org

Wow has time flown.  We are now almost half-way through this course, so we should take the opportunity the week before April break (4/14) to meet again f2f for our second of three meetings. There we can go over coursework expectations for the rest of the semester, practice some hands-on content creation, and collaboratively modify the mid-term assignment to best suit Chariho High School's needs. Let pragmatism prevail!

We still have over three weeks before 4/14, so don't stress out too much. Please arrive with either a solid outline of what topics you'd like to realistically cover in you digital chapter, or the beginnings of what you have already begun to create.  (For those of you that have not gotten comfortable yet with how to start, please arrive with specific goals about what would be the most practical for your setting and we'll collaboratively get you moving in the right direction.)

This shouldn't be an overly-stressful course, so please feel free to ask questions, make mistakes, and communicate your obstacles, so that we can make this the most productive learning experience possible.

I'll reach out to Jessica and see if we can schedule that same room in the CHS Library from 3:15-6 for 4/14.  Now let's get started with S5!

Let's first watch this 5 min. video on the shift to Digital and Open Textbooks.







Now, on to Curriki. I had the good fortune to be speaking at a conference in DC in the Spring of '09 and that lead to a great networking opportunity.  I was lucky enough to be asked to join a cohort of six education professors from around the nation.  We were hired by Curriki to develop a series of online PD sessions on OER's (licensed under CC) that could be integrated into any teacher preparation program.

A great place to start is to hear about the history and mission behind the site. One of the biggest names in Silicon Valley, former Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy, joins Curriki CEO Kim Jones to talk about their efforts to make learning materials free and open to everyone on the Internet.


Now there's no sense in re-creating the wheel, so I'll follow a similar procedure to Session 4.  Watch the videos below, pause them regularly, and try to re-create the instructions.  When we're finished you can explore on your own.

Let's start with, "Viewing a Resource in Curriki"




Now let's look at what members can do with resources.



With all of these resources available and at your fingertips, you'll need to be assured that your access the best and highest quality information, so let's next learn about, "Reviewed Resources."



We'll skip the screencasts on how to rate and comment on resources for now, b/c that's a little more advanced, but when you're ready you can view it here.

Now it's time for the fun part---finding useful stuff.  Let's start with, "Search Basics."





There are few things more frustrating than searching endlessly for a resource and not finding what you're looking for, so our next video will walk you through the "Advanced Search" options and filters.




Most of the benefits to using OER's can be increased exponentially by working collaboratively with a group of your peers, so the last video we'll watch will be on how to access and create 'groups' in Curriki.




I've always been a big proponent of pragmatism in teacher training, so for the rest of your time this week I'd like you to spend time exploring these resources and looking for material to suit your specific educational setting.  Please keep track of your thoughts and reflections and post them under S5's entry before next Tuesday.

For those chomping at the bit for us to cover eReaders and tablets---your time will be here soon.  Here's some of the latest data:


Have fun!

PS-Here are the comments from past teachers that took this course:
Spring '13
Summer '12

8 comments:

Keith Moreau said...

I find that when I go on these sites and do a theoretical search for materials/activities in my classroom, there's very little there. My search for "Hamlet", one of the most well-known plays of all time, yielded only 4 results once I used the Advanced Search criteria to narrow down to my grade level, etc. A search on Google using similar criteria yielded 148,000. So I guess I'm wondering why we even need to use sites that require registration when there's so much available online already.

Keith Moreau said...

Readwritethink.org is another wonderful online resource for sharing lesson plans and getting ideas.

Unknown said...

I didn't care for the Curriki.com website too much. It had some good information but the layout was not appealing to me and the search results weren't very accurate. When I saw a link that I thought would be appropriate I would click it but wasn't taken directly to the resource. Instead I would be taken to another screen so I could click on the same link again. When I finally reached the resource I would be frustrated if it wasn't what I was looking for.
I think I am going to stick with the open algebra.com and ck-12.com websites for now. I am very pleased with them. I believe the saying goes "you can't win them all."

jack'sblog said...

All these resources that we've been introduced to thus far seem helpful and easy to use, but I'm still confused regarding the end product. Are we supposed to create a compendium of information from all of these sources on one site, like the CK12 flex books, or are we going to have an option where to write and publish our digital texts? I have in mind what I want to do, and I'm anxious to build on it, but right now I don't know where to start.

Donna Goodney said...

I found Curriki.com to have some good information as well but not much for me to use. It's good to know the different resources that are out there for us to find.

Donna Goodney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

Jackie Haberland here:

I agree with Laurel on Curriki with the layout. There was some great information but not for the area of physical education and health as Donna said. Very curious about apple textbook.

david said...

@Jackie-
Hopefully the OpenCourseLibrary.org site has given you some more resources for PE and health. I have a few issues with the Apple eTextbooks. All of the material is still only viewable on an Apple product and still locked by copyrights, so my issues are based upon the access and freedom for teachers to remix, adapt, and change. The graphics are great the copyright is not.