Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Session 4-eBooks--CK12

In Session 3's 'Readings' in the syllabus, I had you read a little about CK-12. (Based upon a comment from one of you last session, you can get carried away exploring its resources.) They currently have mostly STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) subject material, but have now begun adding Humanities as well.

There are a few of you taking this course that teach in the latter subject areas, but if CK-12's model holds true, then they will have textbooks and workbooks in your disciplines w/i the next year or two.

Now you won't be taking this course in a year or two, so I'd like you to spend some time this week poring through CK-12's resources and practicing with the interface, so when that day comes you'll be the first one in your school to be using this great tool.

Let's start by watching this brief intro. video that my friend Neeru put together recently to introduce herself and CK-12.





Now, in case you didn't get a chance to do the readings from last week or need a refresher, give their, 'About Us' page a skim now.  When you've finished I'd like you to read the most recent news articles about them..

You should be pretty excited and inspired about the possibilities at this point.  I was when I first learned about them in 2008.  I reached out to Neeru to explore building a collaboration and she flew me out to Silicon Valley in November '08 to meet with her, and her co-founder, about their work. I was so enthralled that I decided to add their resources to this course to help share their vision, and also to help contribute to the movement myself.

Imagine if our entire state began to use open education resources (OER) to 'collectively' write our own textbooks and curriculum material, and then began sharing them with each other. Sounds beyond reach doesn't it? But some systems and State Dept.'s of Education are trying just that. Read about Virginia for example. (and that was six years ago!)  There's more about their plan here as well.

Now CK-12 just really began taking off around August of '08, so as I mentioned above, they don't have every discipline yet. But, like I said, they plan to broaden to other areas soon. Here's a brief demonstration to watch.  When you're done watch this one they had an intern pull together:



Introducing CK-12 Foundation's Digital Learning Tools - #2 from CK-12 Foundation on Vimeo.

Now if this all scares you a little or you feel a little intimidated---that's justified.  Some of you mentioned in your comments from the last session that you were apprehensive about 'publishing' your material until you reached a certain comfort level.  That's to be expected.

I'm sure that you have a lot of questions. The biggest concern I hear is about the quality of the information. We'll go into more detail about that in the next few sessions, but for now think about how many teachers stray from the textbooks in their classes and instead use quality, credible information that they have screened using their professional judgment.

Now think about how much information teachers have in their heads. If they took the time to write it out, and share it freely with the world, we would have a tremendously powerful tool.  I'd like you to spend the rest of your time trying to play with CK-12's Flexbooks. See if you can find one to use in your educational setting, and as I mentioned before, don't write it off so quickly b/c they don't have anything in your discipline or grade level just yet.  The practice today, will pay off tomorrow.







To be perfectly honest, most people just access and use these Flexbooks, rather than make changes to them to personalize things for their educational setting, but Id still like you too tutorials linked here.

So, for those of you that think you have topics w/i CK12's database, please begin to experiment and collate your flexbook.  Review the video tutorials a few times if you need to and remember, you can add additional content to these over time, perpetually improving upon your eTextbook.

For those of you that can't find content here, please focus your attention back on OER Commons (from Session 3) and begin to collate material, connect the content to CCSS, that you can use for your digital chapter or book. Keith and Jack, I'm hoping that you will contact each other and find some common ground to build a collaboration. Remember, your over arching goal for taking this course is to create a digital chapter, multiple chapters, or even an entire eTextbook to support your discipline.

Good luck and as always please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Past participants' comments:
Spring '13

Dave Fontaine
DaveFontaine1@gmail.com

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Dave for introducing us to these tools. I strongly believe that great teachers are always collecting/updating resources to meet the changing content and needs of students. Since we are making the shift from the file cabinet to digital files we are in need of organizational structures to manage all of the information we have access to.

I am really looking forward to digging into the flex book. Jackie, Donna, and I will be able to pull our resources together and discover new resources. I have worked with both of these ladies for years and we are always looking for the most effective ways to deliver content to students. Since we have out of date text books, we often utilize web resources. Too often, we email each other and say "hey remember that video you showed last year about ____" then we look through our old emails, U-drives and home computers. The flexbooks and Canvas will save us that search time. @Donna & Jackie- Do you want to each choose a unit topic to start to carve out? Even if we leave this course with 3 complete units it will be well worth our time. We could start with topics that will be taught next fall to get a head start. Maybe we can meet soon to work this out. -Jess

jack'sblog said...

Nice post, Jessica. You sound much more advanced with this than I am, so I have a few preliminary questions/concerns for you, Dave Fontaine, and anybody else who can help. To start, where should I begin to type my content? I was going to type something on wikipages, and then I like the OER Commons blank document and set up, and now CK-12 offers us another option I'm a little anxious to start getting material down on paper, but to be honest, my head is spinning right now. A little enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. I will probably post again after I get through more of this Session 4.

Donna Goodney said...

Once again I agree with Jack: "Nice post, Jessica!" I found some great resources/lesson plans for Health on CK12! I am looking forward to starting a flex book and getting my feet wet in this e-book process! But where to start? I have to keep reminding myself that I can revise everything I do but I feel too nervous to share with EVERYONE! So I understand what Jack is saying. I have started to post "flipped classroom" lessons on our LMS, Canvas, which is helping me in this process.

david said...

@Jack-Due to the different levels of experience course participants have,some of you may begin compiling material using your own (Canvas) LMS. For others (Jack) you may choose to start by using CK-12's system. Even if the content they currently have is not taught by you, you still have the ability to begin adding your own content and chapters through its highly, dynamic system.

So for those of you that aren't sure, use CK-12. You can still embed multi-media at a later date and begin to compile and get started now.

Don't recreate the wheel. They are giving it away freely, so copy and paste it in. Experiment and play, but try not to get frustrated. I'm giving you plenty of time to practice, so please let me know if you need any additional help along the way.

Jackie said...

Hi. Jackie Haberland here:

I do hope that when the whole school moves to canvas it will be user friendly for students as well for teachers. To be perfectly honest with you last week I became very frustrating searching topics but this week there were some great health lessons on CK-12(a powerful-platform) with the support of my colleagues (Jess & Donna) I hope it will be easy process to link it.

Jess, I do agree on choosing one topic for all of us to work on and carve out. If the process works then maybe we can each do one on our own to have 4 completed topics. I agree with you Dave that when all of their classes are on there that it will force them to be on it more!l FlexBooks/CK-12 do provide an environment for development and display of educational materials available for anyone to use, share and adapt at no cost for editing-organizing-interacting etc. Powerful tool. Thanks Donna and Jess.

Agree with Jack and Donna my head is spinning so it it time for me to stop and head to the gym or else…..

jack'sblog said...

Have to admit, I have a love/hate relationship with the Digital Age, but this morning it's getting some major love from me. I started and completed the first page of my "flex book" on CK-12 -- a course overview and objectives on the study of ancient myths -- and I am (excuse the puerile enthusiasm and parlance) "amped." I worked for a couple of hours this (Sunday) morning, so I need to put it down for a while, but I am excited about uploading texts, YouTube videos, and any other material that would enhance the course. As always, I'm open for suggestions/advice, and I thank Dave Fontaine for getting me focused on CK-12, among other things. It's great to be creating. Peace. Out.

david said...

@Jack
Not sure if Keith has anything to share for this unit, but regardless, we'll be covering more material in the coming weeks that will surely help you locate, create, and embed multimedia to help you create a much more interactive text.

Keith Moreau said...

@jack'sblog - I don't have too many materials on ancient myths. Most of my teaching has been centered around English and American literature. I do have some materials for "The Odyssey" specifically, but not mythology in a general way.

jack'sblog said...

Thanks Keith and Dave. I appreciate the feedback. Actually, I was wondering how to upload material from the internet onto the flex book modalities, but Dave says all that is coming, so I'll wait.

Unknown said...

Hi Everyone,

I really enjoyed looked through all the different opportunities that CK-12 offers. I saw some really nice flex-book options there. As Dave said, don't recreate the wheel. I believe that Mariah and I will be able to find and utilize some existing sections with only minor adjustments to fit our students needs. I can't wait to dive into CK-12 and assemble a flex-book.

I am also shocked that there is an educational website that focuses on the STEM subject areas before the Humanities. This must be a first :) Sorry Keith and Jack...